Board Meeting – February 16, 2014

Business Board Meeting February 16, 2014
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at 5:38  PM  PST.

2. Roll

Present: Scott Krause, Erin Stephens (chair), Lloyd Timberlake, Nathan Wakefield, Mike Sullivan (future festival), Cody Fiereck (2014 festival director), Kyle Johnson

Absent: Jared, Noel, Martin

3. Approval of Agenda

Motion:   Scott
Second by: Lloyd
Discussion: none
Vote: approved unanimously

4. Approval of Minutes:

January 5, 2014
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Scott
Discussion: none
Vote: approved unanimously

January 19, 2014

Motion: Lloyd
Second: Scott
Discussion: Nathan noted that he was 15-minutes a late but present.
Vote: approved unanimously

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less)

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck)

Discussion: Early Bird registration is open; things came together well. Feedback welcome. Much added to schedule. Stage will be open for whole festival. Main big gym remains juggling space and regular workshops. May not be able to use North Ballroom. We’ll probably be put into gym similar to Black and Gold gym. Not clear why we cannot use ballroom. First they were worried about props and then they said it had been reserved by others. They seem to be offered new dorm as youth dorm. Need to make sure all buildings we are using are as close as possible. We will all go to one dining hall.

2015 Festival Report (Lloyd Timberlake)
Director Contract
IJA/Turbo Letter of Agreement

Discussion: Draft letter of agreement with Veronique and draft letter of agreement  with Turbo. lloyd says he will send these drafts out in coming month.

– Is Veronique OK with the agreement in English? Yes.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: El Paso sent a revised proposal for 2016. But otherwise things are same as last month’s report.

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:  Youth Jugglers’ Academy replaces YEP. Moving ahead with button creation. Ellen writing eJuggle article on this.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion: Marketing success with Facebook photo contest. There were close to 350 votes. Now working on marketing on Early Bird ticket sales. Will continue to support. Cody did an eJuggle piece. Thom Wall will start video contest in April. And we’ll need to market World Juggling Day.

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Numbers low this month. Will Early Bird bring them up? Question as to why they are now low. People who signed up earlier last year may have dropped off, and Early Bird may bring them back on.

Financial Report  with 9/30 Financial Information (Scott Krause)

Q4 Financials are not done.  I reached out to Holly to offer my help to expedite the process.

Discussion:   2013 not done, but Holly trying to finish. Starting form required by Deleware, with financials, plus how many hours per month board members spend. Scott will put this in forum. What about gift certificates being issued? Are they being accounted for? Are we using those to pay people for writing? eJuggle writers are being paid with store credits, apparently. Need to bring eJuggle into conversation. It will be hard to make paper trail people can understand in the future. But perhaps the store credit approach saves us money. It gives Scott leeway to negotiate with people. Scott Krause will talk to Scott about how to manage this. Need to find out where this stands after two years.

Spent $1100 over what we were meant to spnd on Fun Fund. Can come out of unspent funds. Holly worried that she does not have all the info she needs to finish financials.

5. Motions for Consideration

A.  Motion to approve amended video contract with Pablo Leon.

Motion: Nathan
Second: Lloyd
Discussion: Will we stick to contract this time? We will be more professional this time and Nathan will handle directly. Also, forfeiture will come from second half of payment.
Vote: approved unanimously

6. Varia:

A. Website discussion – Donor discussion.  Discuss and answer some questions presented by potential donor. Lloyd will send donor letter to Mike and he will draft response.

B. Bookkeeper position discussion.  (Lloyd Timberlake) Got about five reasonable applicants and need to decide how ro move forward. Scott could participate outside business hours + Erin and Lloyd.

C. IRC Mexico: there is offer to host third regional IJA. We would split prize money and medals. Erin will launch straw poll proposal. It is nice to pass on responsibility to local organizations.

7. Set March Meetings

March 2 (planning)
March 23 (board)

8. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Scott
Discuss: none
Voting: passed unanimously

 

Board Meeting – February 2, 2014

Agenda 2/2/2014

Planning Board Meeting February 2, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

1. Call to Order at 5:35 PST
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at 5:35 pm PST.

2. Discussions

  • 2014 Festival updates – Erin

    • Ballroom- hosting for the Renegade show we can no longer use it for that purpose.   Venue is concerned about damage to the floor and the nature of the event.  Cody is looking into this.  Nathan- ask a worst case scenario can we get some kind of stage covering.

    • Youth Dorms- The jugheads contacted the rep and purdue and contacted them and the venue found out that youth were in attendance.  They have a strick policy of youth being in a separate wing.  We have not yet rented these dorm.  Two options- working on a hotel room in a nearby or somehow in the rooms.  Cody is looking into this and we will figure out alternatives.

    • Early Bird Ticket Sales – Feb. 15 – 28th – Spread the word!

    • Performers- coming along pretty well for performers. Opening show we are looking for performers in that region.  Maybe Scott knows someone in that region. Nathan will look into it.

  • 2015 Festival Updates – Lloyd

    • not much to report.  Vero and Lloyd has been in touch.  Sent her the same letter of agreement that was sent to Cody for 2014. Complicated is that because the finances need to be held in canada.  We need two contracts one with Turbo and one with Vero.   We need to have a legal agreement with Turbo because they are seeking grants on behalf of IJA.

  • 2012 Festival DVD Contract Concerns – Nathan

    • on oct 23 rd 2012 we entered into a contract with taylor glenn to produce the 2012 video release.  She would be paid 1,000 for her services, within a 90 day time frame barring any IJA interference.  Dave Pawson signed this.  In july 2013 the video was not complete.  In the contract it says that taylor is to be docked financially until the video is delivered.  Nathan got a hold of taylor in Jan of 2014 a little over a year from the deadline.  She has forfeited the entire fee.  Members think that we should lower her fee.   Nathan presented this to Taylor.  Taylor wrote back and was upset and indignant. She is upset with the IJA and most likely will not be a part of the IJA in the Future.

    • Discussion- She has done other free video work for the IJA.  She has done a lot of volunteer work for the video.  She also did the world juggling video late. $500 was offered to her for her work.   Did the IJA cause the delay that froze her time frame.  Erin will talk to her and see what she says.

  • 2013 Festival DVD – Nathan

    • Communicating with the video editor, whose name is Pablo.  Pablo likes the contract and is ready to proceed.  Nathan signed it and made a few small adjustments and sent it. Sent an inquiry to Jago to figure out how to transfer footage.   So it will need to be put on a drive.   Waiting on pablo for some more info on sending the media.

  • Scott Seltzer doing IJA promotion and eJuggle coverage at EJC – Erin

    • Scott said in the ezine.  He is interested in doing coverage at EJC for Ejuggle. Producing videos to cross promote for EJC and IJA.  Having a booth at EJC.   Scott talked to EJA and obtained a press package.  He is asking the IJA for the budget from the eJuggle budget.  Wanted 600 total. Lloyd, Noel, Erin and Nathan all agree its a great idea.

  • Bookkeeper discussion – Nathan

    • Review the Job Description Nathan has created.

    • Recruitment plan – ready to go. Ready to move forward ASAP.

    • Dates/Deadlines- looking to be ready by March 1st.  No taxes will be done by then.   Try to have someone for the position by March 15th. Holly is supportive of the process and possibly willing to help research the new candidate.  Applications in by the 1st of March.  Person in place for the position by first of April.

    • Discussion:  No one is lined up for the position. There is no free festival package or housing in new version. Lloyd can deal with the responses to the submissions and pass them onto the board.

  • FB Photo Contest – Kyle

    • It started on the 1st and now Kyle is busy with new job. Does not have as much time to promote.  Deadlines for submission is Feb 8th.  Marketing via facebook.  Voting is from the 9th-13th of feb.  The winner gets a free festival package.  Spread the word.

  • IRC Mexico and Peru – Erin

    • Periplo is planning on doing another IRC. Trying to change the flying to the states as prize to prize money.  IJA will pay 300 USD for the awards.

    • Peru would like to host one and wanted it in april but it is too soon.  Working on more for the future

3. Confirm February 16, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.

4. Adjourn

Noel made the motion to adjourn the meeting at 6:28 pm PST.
Discussion:
Vote:  Motion Passes

Board Meeting – January 19, 2014

 

Business Board Meeting January 19, 2014
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

 

Start the Recording

 

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at  535 PM  PST.

 

2. Roll

 

Present: Jared Davis, Kyle Johnson, Erin Stephens (chair), Noel Yee, Mike Sullivan (future festival), Cody Fiereck (2014 festival director), Martin Frost (communications), Nathan Wakefield,

 

Absent: Lloyd Timberlake, Scott Krause, Martin Frost.

 

3. Approval of Agenda

 

Motion:    Kyle Johnson
Second by: Noel Yee
Discussion: none
Vote: passes

 

4. Approval of Minutes:

December 8, 2013
Motion: Kyle Johnson
Second: Jared Davis
Discussion: none
Vote:  passes

December 22, 2013

 

Motion:  Kyle Johnson
Second: Jared Davis
Discussion:  none
Vote: passes

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less)

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck)

 

Discussion: Cody says things are going well and that he’s hoping to start ticket sales soon.  Flyers were recently printed.  Cody is in touch with some locals in the Purdue area.

Core team expense discussion: Mike says that we came from a few years where there were no comps.  Not even the festival director.  Mike doesn’t know that there’s a precedent for some group of people to get a comp when others are not comped.  Jared agrees with Mike.

 

Cody and Erin resolve to discuss this in a separate 2014 festival core team (?) meeting.

 

We’d love to have someone organize a parade (such as the local club) as well as the open stage(s).

2015 IJA Festival Quebec Report (Noel Yee)

 

Discussion: Noel visited the site during TurboFest (as mentioned in his report linked above).

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

 

Discussion: Mike wrote a great report about future festival locations in the link above.  Among the sites listed: Lincoln, Nebraska, El Paso, Texas, among others for 2016 on.

YEP Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:  The YEP meeting will be next week.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

 

Discussion:  Yay, Kyle!

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

 

Discussion: Our numbers appear to be up a bit again.  With early bird festival ticket sales next month, we should see our numbers go up some more.

 

Financial Report (Scott Krause)

 

Discussion:

 

5. Motions for Consideration

A.  Motion to make the following changes to the IJA Pre-Election and Election Regulations:

In the “Mail-in Ballot” section, delete the first two paragraphs,

 

 which read:

 

   The mail-in ballot shall be sent to all members whose memberships are current as of the mailing label deadline for the May/June issue of JUGGLE magazine (approximately April 10 each year). This ballot shall be accompanied by candidates’ statements as described above. Note that receipt of a ballot does not automatically entitle a member to vote. See Voting Considerations, below.

The Chief Teller shall cause the mail-in ballot and accompanying candidates’ statements to be distributed with the May/June issue of JUGGLE Magazine. Should the publication of the magazine be unduly delayed, or the ballot not be included with the magazine for any reason whatever, the Chief Teller shall cause the ballot to be sent to all eligible members by first-class mail not later than June 1.

Replace the “Voting Number” section (currently two paragraphs) with this text:

The Chief Teller shall cause each IJA member to be assigned a unique, randomly generated decimal number of at least seven digits (“the voting number”), with the exception that family members who share an IJA membership may also share the same voting number.

 

The Chief Teller shall ensure that an email message is sent to the main email address, if any, associated with each membership, with such email message containing the membership’s voting number along with directions for mail-in voting.

Until the completion of the election, the mapping between voting numbers and memberships shall be made available only to the Chief Teller and those persons unavoidably involved in the numbers’ generation, distribution to members, and use in voting. Voting numbers shall be safeguarded to the maximum extent possible.

The Chief Teller shall put in place a mechanism allowing members to request their voting numbers. This mechanism shall be advertised with the mail-in ballots and on the nominations page. Any member eligible to vote shall be provided with a voting number after having satisfied the Chief Teller as to his or her identity. The Chief Teller shall maintain a record of all distributed voting numbers.

 

Motion: Jared Davis
Second: Kyle Johnson
Discussion: We are updating the voting process since we no longer have JUGGLE magazine.  Martin helped put this together.
Vote: Motion passes

 

B. Motion to approve the 2014 Operating Budget.
Motion: Jared Davis
Second: Noel Yee
Discussion:
Vote: Motion passes

 

C.  Motion to approve Championships rule changes for 2014.
Motion: Kyle Johnson
Second: Jared Davis
Discussion: Jack Kalvan and Viveca discussed changes.
Vote:  Motion passes

 

D.  Motion to approve 2013 DVD contract – to be signed by Pablo Leon Olea.
Motion: Jared Davis
Second: Kyle Johnson
Discussion: Nathan mentions working with Pablo.  Nathan suggests comping Pablo an IJA membership as a sign of goodwill and so that he can get a feel for our videos.
Vote: Motion passes

 

E. Motion to approve 2014 Award Nominees.
Motion:Jared Davis
Second:Kyle Johnson
Discussion: Erin suggests next year the awards nomination process have a deadline earlier in the year so that the award nominees can be invited to perform at the festival.

 

Vote: Motion passes

6. Varia:

 

A. Website discussion. We tentatively plan to discuss this at the meetings next month.

 

B. Deadline for Board Nominations is May 15th.  Create plan for promotion and there will be 4 openings this year.  Discussion regarding online voting.

 

C. Review updated IJA Logo suggestion from Jason Horst.

 

D. Discuss plan for Bookkeeper replacement.

7. Set February Meetings

 

Sunday,February 2nd at 530 PM PST
Sunday February 16th at 530 PM PST

8. Adjournment

 

Motion to adjourn: Kyle Johnson
Discuss: None
Voting: Motion passes at 6:59 PM PST

 

 

 

Board Meeting – January 5, 2014

Agenda 1/5/2013
Planning Board Meeting January 5, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at   8:35  pm PST.

2. Discussions

  • 2013 Festival DVD

    • Updates from Nathan: Pablo is receptive, but no contract sent out yet. Need to button up music, get info from Kim. All seem to either be royalty-free or have permission to use. Need to get song titles and sources. Did we decide to leave silent if we did not have rights. Talked about dubbing over with royalty free, which has a lot of downsides. Silent may be best option, but will seem strange. 2012 master disks sent to Accutrac. We can then publicize. One mistake in X-juggling on-line. DVD is fine.Do we approach performers and ask what music they want to dub over. Give performers a deadline; if they miss, their bit is music-free. Nathan will move forward with Pablo, draft a contract for next board meeting. We want to keep documenting fests even if we move away from DVDs. We will also get more old video on-line.  Need to sort out credit cards, as Kim still has one. Scott will not be treasurer after 2014 fest.

  • Holly, our bookkeeper, is resigning.

    • Discussion regarding future plan.

      • Benefits of having bookkeeper.

      • Continue paying $10,000?

    • Recruitment plan.

    • Who wants to head up the search process?

    • Erin has written Holly to see if she will write Job Description and be willing to help with the training/transition process.

It has been good having her continuity. This is a role worth paying for. We have asked her to write job description, on-board new person. Can finish taxes this year, and do work until then. Let’s ask her if she can help find a replacement. Bookkeeper is important in backing up Treasurer. Scott has been looking and heard of a person who might be interested. Erin has some possibilities. All agree we need a paid bookkeeper. Scott thinks he might be able lead search but wants back-up on the evaluation. Erin and lloyd can help with vetting candidates. All on board will do an uncoordinated search over the next few weeks. We may want to put vacancy on IJA media. Need replacement by March.

  • Championships – Rule Changes

Most of us have read the suggested changes but have not compared to previous. Is this the first suggestion of a minimum time: five minutes. Also changes to 0-10 judging range; now 0-5. Also only do whole numbers. Changes categories, but mainly wording changes. A 10-point scale tends to lead to biases toward 8-9, due to school grades. A 0-5 actually might give more spread. Ought to choose categories and stick with them for a long time. Viveca’s suggestions were meant to give more clarity. Her suggestions also change multiplication levels. Need more clarity on things like “stage presence” and “entertainment value.” Are seven categories too many? Is entertainment value more important than technical juggling? It’s subjective! Should we get rid of the zero as there will be no zeros. At IRCs they were having trouble understanding our descriptions.  Do we add “risk” to “difficulty”? We will get suggestions into Erin to organize suggestions and get them to Viveca. Need to list the various competitions in one place, with lengths to more descriptions.

  • Communication

    • Forums are still not very active.  Would a Board Facebook page be better?

Look at Erin’s new material on BoardPlus and respond. E-mails seem to be better way of getting response. But Forums give us a public record, which emails do not.

3. Confirm Jan 19, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.

4. Adjourn
Scott  made the motion to adjourn the meeting at  6:31 pm PST.
Discussion:
Vote:  Passes

Board Meeting – December 22, 2013

Business Board Meeting December 22, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at  5:35   PST.

2. Roll

Present: Jared Davis, Scott Krause, Erin Stephens (chair), Nathan Wakefield, Noel Yee, Mike Sullivan, Cody Fiereck, Martin Frost, Kyle Johnson, Lloyd Timberlake

Absent:

3. Approval of Agenda

Motion:    Kyle
Second by: Noel
Discussion: Mike says motion on video badly worded.
Vote: Passes unanimously.

4. Approval of Minutes:

November 10th Minutes
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Scott
Discussion:
Vote: Unanimous.

November 24th Minutes

Motion:  Lloyd
Second: Scott
Discussion:
Vote: Unanimous

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less)

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck) Things are going well. Two weeks for early bird. March 1- June 30 regular price. Focus on booking performers and marketing. Next month work with community of Lafayette. Registration website should have something up by next board meeting. Will look at social media.

Discussion: Noel would like to see Cody’s site visit list to prepare him for meeting with Vero. Made first Facebook announcement of performer.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan) Mike refers to his report: University of Nebraska has expressed interest through preliminary bid. Nebraska not open until first week of August. Jek Kelly will take a look.

Discussion: Des Moine seems to be too big for us – at present. Scott: are we thinking about fest director for future fests? Mike does not see it as a practical approach. Hard to match city and director when we might lose director. Yet this was the old way: local person organizing a fairly local festival. Noel: we are going abroad to Quebec, but are we being too Midwest focused and not looking more at the West? El Paso is close to Mexico. Noel is looking for an expanded web of festival sites. Mike has gone to a lot of site visits, but we cannot handle big cities. State capitals tend to be too expensive for us. Mike has asked for suggestions in writing and not getting them. Martin and Mike: West is big and empty and hard to get people to fest there. Erin: but West has successful fests. Northeast has lots of colleges and we should be able to find venue there. We use Unique Venues to find places; they get paid when they find a place.

YEP Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: Ellen got advice that she needed bigger network before interesting big funders. New name needs to have “Jugglers” in it. Also needs to be more exciting. “Academy” looks good for grant writing; does not frighten kids away. There is separate YEP website now that needs to be revamped. It’ll probably take more than a month. Exciting new buttons being rolled out. “Fast track certification” brings people already teaching juggling well into YEP certification. Interest has built up over past two months.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson) Kyle: flyer just about done front and back. Need to print and send.

Discussion:Membership drive almost over: 53 members, only two new. Martin update: 67 members during drive, 12 new. Not much recruitment by individuals. Got 25 new members in December 2012. There was the raffle last night. Another raffle on the 28th. Facebook page close to 7,500 Likes. We need to share the video. Can download video with folder. Noel: good job getting the word out; keep it up!

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Not seeing many new or renewals in these figures, so do not know how current the figures are.

Financial Report (Scott Krause)

Debit Cards for Erin and Cody – Just got the forms from Bank of America on Friday.  Will fill out Monday.

Q3 Financials – Need to be finalized with Kim.  Need to get final fest numbers in before Board can vote. Holly will do most of IRS form filling. Still some outstanding checks.

Discussion: What is limit on the debit cards? Whatever is in bank account. Scott will be third card holder. Trying to set Cody’s card to expire in August. Credit cards can benefit non-profits.

5. Motions for Consideration

A. Motion to pay up to $50 for digitization of the historical Club Swinging video, out of the Archive Fund.

Motion: Scott
Second: Noel
Discussion: Not clear what to do with video, maybe post as members only. Not clear if we can tag a private video.
Vote:Passed unanimously

B. Motion to approve change of eJuggle budget from $750/month to $500/month, and set a cap of $1,000 rollover of unused previous funds.
Motion: Kyle moved to amend motion to add rollover.
Second: Lloyd
Discussion: Scott: do we need to add something about backlog of money available to eJuggle?
Vote: passed unanimously

C. Motion to approve payment of $12/month out of the General Fund for a 6-month trial of a Constant Contact eNewsletter.
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Kyle
Discussion: There has been ongoing discussion between Martin, Tom, Don, Erin etc. Ide to move to Constant Contact format. Mail Chimp is suggested as email marketing tool. Noel uses Mail Chimp, but wants what works best for Martin. Martin is not familiar with Constant Contact or Mail Chimp. There seems to be no proposal. We need someone to take a lead on organizing newsletters. We need to benefit from Martin’s work in any transition. Martin is happy to be engaged but not in charge. Thom wanted a proposal from the board as to how he would be involved, not to make a proposal himself. We need a good system allowing people to opt out. Noel has experience with Mail Chimp through Fire Drums. MC provides a lot of data on use of emails, very sophisticated.  Need a proposal for who is doing what. We need to revisit question of which service to use.

Vote:  Motion failed.

6. Varia: Kyle asks about promoting posts on Facebook. No marketing budget for this now. Erin looking at marketing budget for next year.

7. Set January Meetings

January 5
January 19

8. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: Kyle
Discuss:
Voting:Passed unanimous

Board Meeting – December 8, 2013

Agenda 12/8/2013
Planning Board Meeting December 8, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information: Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at   5:36  pm PST.

2. Discussions

  • Festival DVD

    • Sales from 2011 (Nathan) 53 units sold through store at $40 a piece. $2120 was gross. Printer takes out about $10. 2010 about the same.

    • 2012 DVD Update (Nathan)Same approach to 2012. There is one misspelling of one name. Has there been enough checking of names, esp on master disk? Editing is about one year overdue. Kyle: let’s let it go and get it out – or people won’t even care about the fact that DVD is coming out. Board agrees: get it over with!

    • 2013/2014 Editor (Nathan) Kim was taking bids on 2013 DVD. Found Pablo, who quoted $2700. He was not happy finding new music. But some competitors used royalty-free music. Trying to nail paperwork.

    • Future DVDs? We do need historical record. Most important is the competition. Some do not watch the edited part. What if we had someone film the competitions and create their own DVD? No one is going to make a lot of money off the DVDs. Would someone be willing to take risk on copyrighted music? But we cannot take that risk as an organization. It is crazy that we upload a DVD with terrible music; we are late and make little money. Hard to find status of all the songs used in every competition. Used to make it mandatory to use royalty-free. People will not change their music for our competition. Music also a big problem with posting our archive music. Should we post them silent? Nathan found video policy. Good videos are good publicity for the IJA. There is now a Membership Video. As long as we can make a bit of money and not lose, it is worth doing. Can we let people upload their own videos and not film? It is not much money. Should not promote filming and posting but should not reprimand. Current policy is to allow filming of everything but stage shows. Scott is re-evaluating the member-only content, which is not been great at attracting members. We are not getting many views. Do we post directly to YouTube to promote IJA and festival. But member-only video is part of membership drive. Seem to have agreed to leave silent for those without royalty-free music. We need royalty-free for the montages. This is up to editor. Move forward with contract for new editor.

    • Dubbing competition routines

  • Proposal for Donor

    • Where should we propose the anonymous donor earmark his/her funds? Lloyd proposed pushing of money for designing website. Others agreed. Erin has website designer in mind, willing to present proposal. Erin looking at $1000/year Wild Apricot. Designer says do not use their website. Others are more expensive. Lloyd will draft letter. Also may want to hire writer to re-write website copy.

  • Turbo visit

    • Noel requested $300 for staying the 2 extra days following the Turbo fest – to tour the sites and attend the City Council meeting.

    • Don and Greg said they would be willing to do it for free, but did not realize that 2 days following the festival was entailed.  Greg is unwilling to stay for one day, and Don likely does not know that touring for a full two days was expected.

Erin: need someone on the board doing full tour, checking distances, etc., develop good relations with Veronique, be at City Council meeting. We do pay fest directors expenses to visit site. Noel’s money would be for after the fest. General feeling that paying Noel’s expenses is reasonable. Nathan/Erin follow up again with Don.

  • Vision Statement of the IJA

    • Vision: What the company intends to become

    • Writing a good vision statement isn’t difficult. Think about what your business does and what, in an ideal world, you would like it to do and how you would like to appear to the outside world. Consider the services and attributes that your company provides, then imagine how it would be if you provided the very best version of them possible. List those visions, and incorporate them into a brief statement that gives a good overview of the kind of image you want to represent.

Understanding your goals and being able to state them clearly is the first step toward making them happen.

Vision Statement is part of strategy development of the IJA. “Support past, present and future of juggling. Support hobby of juggling.” Get historical element in. Look at old thread on old Board Plus.

  • New forums

3. Confirm Dec 22, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.

4. Adjourn
Kyle  made the motion to adjourn the meeting at  6:31  pm PST.
Discussion:
Vote:  Passes

Board Meeting – November 24, 2013

Business Board Meeting November 24, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at 5:35 PST.

2. Roll

Present: Jared Davis, Scott Krause, Erin Stephens (chair), Nathan Wakefield, Noel Yee, Mike Sullivan, Cody Fiereck, Martin Frost

Absent: Kyle Johnson, Lloyd Timberlake, Kim Laird

3. Approval of Agenda
Scott Krause moved to approve the agenda for Nov. 24, 2013.
Second by: Noel
Discussion: None
Vote: Passed

4. Approval of Minutes:

October 6th Minutes
Motion: Nathan
Second: Noel
Discussion:
Abstensions: Scott Krause
Vote: Motion passes unanimously

October 27th Minutes

Motion:  Scott
Second: Noel
Discussion:  Jared says that there are complications with large calls and providing time for individuals to respond to the process.   Erin says she can go slower to allow people ample time to respond to important motions.
Vote: Motion Passes

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less)

2014 Festival Update (Cody Fiereck)
Festival Poster

Discussion:

Scott ask are the rewards included in for the competitions on the budget.   Pyrus says that only competition money in the budget is for busking.   Martin says in the past it has totaled 3,950 in previous years.  This means that we need to account for a budget difference of 4,000 – 7,000.  Need to establish a list of competitions (championships, xjuggling, etc)  and comprise an adjusted budget with the competitions included.  Did some of the money for previous years games came from fun fund.

Medals & Prize Money

  1. Gold Silver Bronze Award amounts

    1. Individuals 1,000 —  500, — 250

    2. Teams 1,000 —  500, — 250

    3. Juniors  500–250- 125

    4. Total 4375

Martin says we can look at the budget 2 years ago to figure out the amount for pay out.  Pyrus needs to talk to personnel about Xjuggling, Games, joggling and Numbers Competition

Income from the special workshops has not been added in current budget and how can we add this in?  There is no line in the budget yet for this.    We often split the special workshop amount with instructor 50/50.

Pyrus says that the items are budgets, it is there but it is in the shows budget.  It is there for there.

Erin says that this budget for today is a rough and working budget and will change but can be repaired and amended in the future

Curious Misc for 2,500-  expenses that may pop up or in an emergency situation.

Martin wrote something on the Board forums and we need to figure out how the registration system and how the will work.  Martin says if its on our website it may be easier to

Purdue will handle meal and menu situations for people.   We will handle our own festival registration.   We will use a commercial online package for people who want to come to our festival.  could prevent cross communication or other issues.   We will not use the IJA store for registration, we need to let the IJA store manager know about adjusting webpages.

Mike is willing to work on web material this through the holidays to prepare for Jan 1st deadline.  Our members need to know all the details of the rooms to compare them to hotels.  Cody has the pricing and it can be added to the website.

Many registrations at an early bird price of members that would have come to IJA anyways.   Suggestion is that the window is very small and it is cheaper.

Jared feels like the festival cost too much.  So removing lower costs could make it to costly for some.

There are many other concerns about lowering the price of the festival.

Pyrus says that we should lower the quantity of tickets.  Tricky to enforce.

erin suggests moving forward on the voting and readdress these this weds at the festival organizational meeting.

2013 Post Festival Report (Kim Laird)

Festival P&L Statement
Fun Fund Expenses

Discussion:
Kim Laird is not present.  IJA did make a 10,000 profit.   Erin asked Holly if all funds were in the General Fund, and Holly responded saying some funds are still in a different account at this time.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

Mike says creating a written agreement with Turbo is going slower than he had hoped.   Combing over details and hoping to finish by the end of the month.  Mike is working on many spots for 2016.  INebraska and Ohio are interested.   Kalamazoo, MI is looking to submit a bid.   Glad to have a one year breather to find a suitable festival for 2016.

Mike contacted Noel and Kyle about options for California and did not receive a return email from either.  Not sure if working on a contract for quebec is possible.  Mike is working on a letter outlining the two organizations will work together, and specific responsibilities of each.

Making sure that the expectations of fest director are clearly described met and worked though. Mike is working to be able to have final Proposals for our 2016 fest site ready to consider by 2014 festival.

YEP Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

Ellen is looking to get a online certification for organizations that are already established, in order to integrate more youth into the program.  Buttons are being designed and created for the awards system.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:
IJA should see these numbers go up with the membership drive and IJA fest ticket sales.

Financial Report (Scott Krause)

Discussion:

5. Motions for Consideration

A. Motion to approve the working budget for the 2014 Festival.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aujr1-kj-PvmdGRwVllOWExIanA3TEtzMDBXekxFS3c&usp=drive_web#gid=1

Motion: Noel
Second: Scott
Discussion:

Noel says the budget is a work in progress and says it will change.  Suggest call it working budget.  Noel amends to call the budget now  “working budget”.  Amendment passes.   Working to get it approved to begin booking the cascade and other performers.

Mike suggests to Cody that people can only register online.

Vote: Motion Passes

B. Motion to temporarily change the price of a 1 Year Adult IJA Membership to $24.00 and a 1 Year Youth Membership to $19.00, from December 13th – 26th.

Motion: Jared
Second: Scott
Discussion: Martin asks if membership can be obtained online only.  Sales are online only.
Vote: Motion Passes

C. Motion to approve up to $1,000 for a board member to attend the Turbo Fest, and attend a City Council meeting with Veronique to announce the IJA Festival happening in Quebec.  This expense has been budgeted into the 2015 Festival Budget.

Motion: Nathan
Second:  Jared
Discussion:Veronique requested that someone see the site and we get a feel for how the IJA fest will work at the venue.  Erin mentioned to her that the board usually approves a director site visit, and since she is the onsite director, perhaps the board would approve a board member visit in order to collaborate.  Mike Moore was asked if he could do it and he said no.  Martin suggested Greg Phillips or Don Lewis as other options.  Noel says he will be at Turbo Fest.  He doesn’t want to pay to go to the festival, and would like to take some time to figure out how much he would need to be compensated to offset expenses of staying two extra days.  Kyle is probably going as well.  It would be nice if they took pictures.

Vote:

Opposed: Jared, Erin, Noel, Nathan, Scott

Motion fails

6. Varia

A. Communication – Please remember to check forums regularly.

7. Set December Meetings

December 8th, 2013 5:30 PST
December 22nd, 2013 5:30 PST

8. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Kyle
Discuss:
Voting: Motion passes

Board Meeting – November 10, 2013

Agenda 11/10/2013

Planning Board Meeting November 10, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at   5:34 pm PST.

2. Discussions

  1. 2014 Budget Expenses

Erin worked on budget and got numbers from Holly. Need to know how many members we need to bring in. Erin talked to Scott Seltzer about creating a cap for eJuggle – of $1,000, so $4k back into operating. $40,680 available. See accounts below. What to do with archives? Donate to library? Would cost a lot to ship. Little point to pay to store stuff where it cannot be seen. Bookkeeper is highest expense. Discussion on how we are to pay festival director. Jared thought it was supposed to be paid if there was a profit. Motion was to pay director $5,000 whether or not there is a profit. Need profit from merchandise, festival, members etc.  to close $4,000 gap. Can we save on our conference calls? Jared will look into other possibilities.

Scott: we in tighter cash flow this year than last. But we have not closed festival books, so profit (?) from fest not on books. Hope to do that in next few weeks. Scott will get in touch with Cody.
Working Operating budget:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahd68x2rE4RsdF9CWnFJQ1ZVcXNIUWpuR2pyWVhDTmc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

  1. Membership Drive

    1. How will reduced cost of membership expenses affect the budget?

    2. Membership Drive without price reduction.

Discussion on whether to cut membership fee to $25 during a month-long membership drive. Doing a video to show value of being a member. Loss of magazine has hurt membership, but was important monetarily. We need new value propositions. We will have a proposal on this for November board meeting.

  1. Website Re-design

    1. Brainstorm a new plan of action.

    2. Discuss AMS options: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B6ww3HhAi2CsczZsMUpoZGJhLTQ
      Pages 20 – 22 outline the benefits, drawbacks, and pricing of the 3 AMS systems recommended by a consultant for the IJA.

    3. Turbo has requested a modernized image from the IJA – says the IJA’s image will affect the level of support they are able to receive from the government.

Discussion: reference to Mike’s options and pros and cons of various systems. Turbo wants us to have an improved web presence and general image. We can also modernize the logo. We can fix up the front end of the site, at least. The suggestion of a Kickstarter or some such fundraiser. Hiring web designer to “spruce up” site is affordable. Even the text needs improving. Can we give it one strong voice and one strong presence? Kyle would like to be a part of the effort, but gradually. But feels we need major overhaul. Mike has been asked if he would re-involve himself. A possible redesigner has been found. Would Scott Selzer be interested in working on website redesign? Feeling expressed that we need single website. Check to see where Scott Ahern is.

  1. Communication

    1. IJA Forums

    2. Other ideas for better ongoing communication.

We need to be better regularly checking and commenting on items on BoardPlus and Board. We will try as a board having more discussions on the Board forum, checking several times a week. And let’s respond to e-mails within 48 hours.

  1. Newsletter Contributions
    Don Lewis requests more news from board members and particularly profiles from new members.

  2. Review proposed changes for IJA Championships from Jack Kalvan.
    Jack wrote me with the below idea for a way to change the current championships style.
    Please review.

I like seeing a wide variety of acts at IJA, but it doesn’t make sense to compare Anthony Gatto to Michael Moschen to Wes Peden. We want to reward top jugglers (in various fields: technique, original performance, comedy, diabolo skills, etc).

For polished stage performances, I think the only competition that makes sense is a “People’s Choice” style competition. This would encourage even more diversity, comedy, etc. We don’t see many great acts (working professionals) in the current competitions because they don’t have the technical ability to compete with today’s teen hobbyists.

I think if we are judging technique, Individual Prop competitions really make the most sense. (Did they even have it this year?) I also think XJuggling makes sense, but maybe I’m biased.

Here’s my Radical Plan:

1. Make the IJA’s main competitions Individual Prop! (balls event, clubs event, rings event, diabolos event, etc., 3 minute routines, with a scoring system similar to the current stage scoring). Also pick an over-all winner since some jugglers will be able to compete in more than one prop.

2. Polished performances are featured in nightly stage shows. After all the shows, People’s choice voting picks the Stage winners. Have decent prize money for the top 3-5 acts. Instead of ranking 1st, 2nd, 3rd… maybe the prizes are like:
Most Innovative Presentation of Juggling
Best Comedy Juggling Act
Technical Virtuosity
Artistic Excellence
Quality Team Juggling Act (Passing Zone Trophy)
Best Up-and-Coming Performer (under 18)
Most Inspirational Young Female Juggler (if you like the current Flamingo Award)
Most Unbelievable 9-year-old
etc.

3. Not ready for prime-time? Show your stuff at Renegade or Youth Showcase.

I think this will encourage more variety, reward more talent, and make more entertaining shows.

I know this is pretty radical, but I feel strongly that it’s a good way to go. I would even volunteer to take on the job of championships director to implement this. What do you think?

Jack.

Few had read Jack’s letter. All agreed changes are very radical. But there was agreement that changes should perhaps be made. Can the technical juggling be separated from the various entertainment aspects of juggling. But we are now only 6 months from the competition and people are preparing. Need to announce any ‘next year’ changes at the festival a year before. We will need a group to work on this, as there will be strong feelings.

         6.  Confirm Nov. 24, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.

         7. Adjourn
Jared   made the motion to adjourn the meeting at     6:48   pm PST.
Discussion:
Vote: Unanimous

Board Meeting – October 27, 2013

Business Board Meeting October 27, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order
Chair Erin Stephens called the meeting to order at 5:33 PST.

2. Roll

Present: Jared Davis, Kyle Johnson, Erin Stephens (chair), Lloyd Timberlake, Nathan Wakefield, Noel Yee, Mike Sullivan, Martin Frost, Cody Fiereck

Absent: Scott Krause, and Kim Laird.

3. Approval of Agenda
Lloyd Timberlake moved to approve the agenda for Oct. 27, 2013.
Second by: Kyle Johnson
Discussion:
Vote: Passes

Approval of Minutes:

September 8th Minutes
Motion: Lloyd Timberlake
Second:Noel Yee
Discussion:  None.
Vote: Motion unanimously passes

September 22nd Minutes
Motion:  Lloyd Timberlake
Second: Kyle Johnson
Discussion:  None
Vote: Motion unanimously passes.

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less)
2013 Post Festival Report (Kim Laird)

Discussion:  Nathan thinks the video is something that needs to get going soon.  Erin says that it can be collaborated on via the discussion forums.  Erin also said that we can do the same thing for the festival contract.  Martin Frost said that he has been waiting on registration information from Kim Laird since August.  Martin needs details to confirm the registrations (whether they were festival packages, gym passes, etc).

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: Noel noticed that the other 2015 festival options are centrally located in the US, and he suggests that researching festival site location in 2015 on one of the coasts would be nice. Jared said that he thinks we need to advertise on facebook that we need festival site proposals.  Lloyd suggested contacting affiliates about helping with IJA festival site proposals.

YEP Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: They are looking at a rebranding for the name for YEP.

Website Report (Scott Krause)

Discussion:  Scott Krause did not send a website report because he started a new job.  As well, Scott A’Hearne was unable to submit a website report.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion: Noel: expenses are a little more than kyle mentioned

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Martin is reading the spreadsheet, membership records 278 life members

Financial Report (Scott Krause)

Discussion:

2014 Festival Update (Cody Fiereck)

The planning for the IJA 2014 Festival is well underway.  I have my site visit scheduled for November 5th to the 7th.  During this time I will be reviewing all available space, meeting with the chamber of commerce (parade / fire show / busking), and meeting up with the local juggling club or other surrounding community groups.

The budget is expected to be ready for board approval on November 17th.  Nearly all organizer positions have been filled at this point.  Several potential performers and MCs have been contacted about the various shows as well.  Decisions on these selections will start to be made once the budget is complete and stipend requests have been received.

Discussion: Cody has been planning the site visit, budget will be ready on the 17th. January 1st for first day of registration.

5. Motions for Consideration

A. Motion to approve the Quebec proposal to host the 2015 IJA Festival, and move forward with developing a contract.

Motion: Kyle

Second: Lloyd

Discussion: Erin has spoken to Veronique, erin thinks the cost is a little high but there are options to balance costs out. Vendors traveling to Canada is a problem… Purdue is $10,000 and Quebec comes to over $40,000. We are not in debt. Noel thinks it will be successful.

Vote: Motion pass unanimously.

        Jared Davis was opposed to the motion, but he was unable to say something in time since the motion was open for voting for only a few seconds.

B. Motion to approve the following Officer Positions for 2013 – 2014:

Chief Teller: Marilyn Sullivan
eJuggle Director – Scott Seltzer
YEP Director: Ellen Winters
Video Tutorial Contest Director: Thom Wall
World Juggling Day Coordinator: Jeremiah Johnston

Motion: Kyle

Second: Nathan

Discussion: not included in past list

Vote: motion passes unanimously

C. Motion to do a Holiday Membership drive and reduce membership rates to $19.99 adults/$14.99 youth.

Motion: Kyle
Second:Jarod
Discussion:
Vote: motion unanimously tabled

6. Varia

7. Set November Meetings

10th and 24th November

8. Adjournment

Motion: Kyle
Discuss: Lloyd
Voting: passes unanimously!

Board Meeting – October 6, 2013

Agenda 10/6/2013
Planning Board Meeting October 6, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at 5:40pm PST.

2. Roll

Present:  Jared Davis, Noel Yee, Nathan Wakefield, Kyle Johnson, Erin Stephens

Absent: Scott Krause, Lloyd Timberlake

3. Discussions

  1. Quebec City Festival Proposal

    1. Budget
      –  What is the $20 and $125 figures on right side of budget by Gym and Theater?
      –  General feeling is that the overall profits are overly optimistic.
      –  Joggling would be downtown instead on a track, but could be eligible for city grant money.
      –  Long distances between venues is a big concern among the board.
      – Noel brought up a great point that the festival director is figured to make $7500, but the IJA only profits $110 (or a lower figure) and that doesn’t seem fair to the organization.
      -Noel suggested a smaller meeting to have a heart-to-heart with the festival director to share a bit about our finances and why we need to be fiscally responsible.
      Further Questions to present to Veronique

  1. Future Festivals

    1. Goals for booking venues

      Discussion on the Festival Requirements PDF.  Points about lodging wording being awkward, and the show stopper section turning off potential venues.

      Talk about moving potential IJA festivals earlier in the summer to make them further away from EJC and other events.

    2. What type of venues do we want to focus on

      Keeping venues within walking distance of the convention, or having strong shuttle system setup between the two.

      Discussion about local venues offering to host the festivals themselves and how this could streamline the festival planning process.  Jarden suggests marketing to juggling clubs to get them to offer to host IJA festivals.

      Erin mentions talking to people who have already expressed interest in hosting IJA festivals into more affordable alternate options.

    3. Geographic locations

      1. 2015

      2. 2016

      3. 2017

General feeling is that we need to get festivals outside the Midwest and likely onto the West coast, or at the very least at “destination cities” to increase interest in attendees interested in tourism.

Kyle mentions trying to find more camping options during festivals, possibly at fairgrounds.

4. Confirm Oct. 27, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.

5. Adjourn
Kyle made the motion to adjourn the meeting at unanimous 6:43 PST.
Discussion:
Vote: Passed