Board Meeting – June 22, 2014

Business Board Meeting June 22, 2014
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#
Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at   534 PM  PST.

  1. Roll

Present: Erin Stephens (chair), Lloyd Timberlake, Nathan Wakefield, Scott Krause, Mike Sullivan (future fest coordinator), Martin Frost, Jared Davis, Noel Yee (late?), Cody Fiereck (2014 festival director).

Absent: Kyle Johnson

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Lloyd

Second by: Scott

Discussion:  Since the months were wrong, we will vote for both of them at the next meeting.

Vote:

  1. Approval of Minutes:
  2. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for future festival discussion)

 

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck)
Discussion:

Cody guesstimates the max of labor will be $15,000.  In other words that is approximately 65 registrations to cover that cost.  Insurance document sent from Mike to Scott??  Erin says to make sure to get fire insurance to if necessary.  If Scott can’t find it…Scott says he will solve this issue in the next 24 hours.

2015 IJA Festival (Veronique Provencer)
Discussion:  We will have two representatives for the IJA festival next year at the festival this year.  There will be a party promoting the Quebec festival.  There will be stickers printed to promote the festival at the IJA as well as at the EJC to promote the festival over there.  Erin says she will send four payments soon for Quebec.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)
Discussion:  Mike has nothing to report except that we’re still waiting on a contract chat with El Paso.  Mike expects that we will have a contract to sign by the end of the month.  The hotel agreement does not include a room block.

Marketing (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:  Facebook exploded this last week as it increased about 2200 likes.  Erin is excited to see how this new potential board member, who works in marketing, will be able to help promote the IJA.

IRC (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:  Erin is going to the IRC because the competition looks so great.
WJD (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:  It was awesome.
Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Discussion:  Marilyn says she updated the membership numbers.  She is going to copy and paste the line from july to june which will fix the mixup of why there was a line for July.

Financial Report (Scott Krause):
Discussion:  Dennis is our new bookkeeper, and they are trying to get in touch with one another.  One thing that he doesn’t have on his report that he would like to address here: what is the procedure for bringing on a new treasurer.  Erin says that Martin probably knows.  Erin recommends the next chair put out a call for a new treasurer (perhaps via our 12,000 members on facebook).  Erin says that we have a bunch of payments soon, and we want to make sure we have the funds to cover all that-Scott says that it appears that we can.  Erin asks Mike and Scott if they bank account has been set up.  Mike is working on setting up the account with the check Scott gave him.  Scott will send Mike a paper that will help him set up the business account for the IJA.
AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)
Discussion: Mike is waiting for the check.


  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the 2016 Letter of Agreements with the Hotels in El Paso, Texas.
    Motion: Jared
    Second: Scott
    Discussion:  See letter of agreements above.
    Vote: Motion passes unanimously.7. Varia:
  3. Executive Director Memo Discussion – Lloyd  is working on the memo.  Erin mentions that we were tentatively planning to present this idea to the IJA membership at the festival.  Martin asks the ballpark of payment and hours.  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxd68x2rE4RsUEJvZDZxalM2aWZaS2VsNzhIVk1HRzZIRDZj/edit?usp=drive_web

Erin mentions the problem of having a changeover and a new board of directors trying to learn the ropes for six months.  Martin pointed out that $15,000 would be $15 per IJA member.

 

  1. Set July MeetingsIJA Festival Planning Meeting July 20th at 530 PST?
  2. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Scott

Discuss:

Voting: Motion passes unanimously

Board Meeting – May 18, 2014

Business Board Meeting May 18, 2014
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order

Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at 5:35 PM  PST.

2. Roll

Present: Erin Stephens (chair), Lloyd Timberlake, Nathan Wakefield, Scott Krause, Mike Sullivan (future fest coordinator), Louie Skaradek, Martin Frost

Absent: Jared Davis, Noel Yee, Kyle Johnson, Cody Fiereck (2014 festival director),

3. Approval of Agenda
Motion:   Lloyd Timberlake
Second by: Scott Krause
Discussion: 4 is quorum, so we can review and approve/deny the motions.  Reviewed the motion for change in IJA championships policy, which will be reviewed during the Motions. Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

4. Approval of Minutes:

April 7

Motion: Lloyd Timberlake
Second: Scott Krause
Discussion: None
Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

April 27

Motion: Lloyd Timberlake
Second: Nathan Wakefield
Discussion: None
Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for future festival discussion)

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck)
Discussion:  Main concern is housing, which is not done.  We need to change information on our website to reflect accurate information.  Call on Tuesday.  Updated within next week.  No information on when registration will be ready after the fact.  Notification was provided to Cody in April, and changes weren’t made.  Their site discloses all this information, but we don’t have a link for that.  No answer on renegade venue.  Then we’ll talk about room rates being raised contrary to contract.

Visitors bureau discussion surprised to hear about Renegade stage situation.  Some other options suggested for other Renegade sites.  Packet to be provided to attendees with information about local area, and will do some promotions.

There were only 3 teams that entered prelims.  Viveca said they all qualified.  Number of teams varies year to year.  Lots of people applied for individuals.

2015 IJA Festival (Veronique Provencer)
Discussion: The no-alcohol policy will apply to the camping area.  It will not apply to the renegade location, which will be in the circus school.  She’s figuring out contract for the Imperial Theater.

Need to have a new primary contact on the BOD for Veronique after Erin leaves the board. This is an item for future boards.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)
Doubletree
Holiday Inn Express

Discussion: Preliminary contract drafted.  6 minor items to negotiate.  Contract as recommended to sign for next board meeting.  Hotel blocks are plentiful.  Thinking of how to reserve a block that is appropriately sized. Hotel blocks information recently uploaded.  Recommending accepting revised rates/blocks.  There is a mix of values (Holiday Inn, Double-tree, Camino-Royal).  Camino-Royal gives commission per room-night to the IJA.

2017 site possibilities – Dubuque, IA.  Many benefits, but big downside – nearest is O’hare airport.  Athens, GA.  Home of U of Georgia. Adjacent to downtown and campus.  Good downtown.  Selection of lodging.  Good venues.  Worried about heat in mid-July.  No great air access – nearest is Hartsfield airport.  6-9 months is timeline for deciding 2017 fest.

Questions:

1). El-Paso will need $5,000 deposit to hold.  Questions about cash flow.  Will likely run into this a lot more often in the future.  Need to determine if this is something we can do in the future.  2014 and 2015 festival expenses and YEP coming up.  Mike will work with Scott/new bookkeeper to ensure this type of funding is continuing to be available.

2). Mexico-TX will require a border-crossing card, ~1200 pesos.  We can plan to help mexican nationals.  Major air carriers do not require visa or border crossing card.  Carriers have a visa waiver policy.  (Mike)  Mike will verify for next board meeting.  Will work with tourism director of El Paso.  Mexican IJA members are excited about coming, if they can afford it.  May have similar problems with US people going to Canada.  El Paso wants to put out a press release as soon as we sign the contract to help with promotion.

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)
Discussion:  Will have a bigger report for next month.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)
Discussion: No report.  FB marketing is going well.  200 new FB page likes in the last week (biggest increase ever).  Push for WJD.  Lots of really popular posts for videos.  Many posts get 100+ likes.  Good international presence.  Tricks of the Months are good, too.

IRC (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: Deadline was yesterday for Mexico prelim.  15 entries, largest yet.  Super high skill level.  High interest and knowledge of the competition.  MalabaristaTV is doing live-feed videos from the festival, interviewing competitors, possible live feed of whole competition.  Will make a large banner of partnership to help with promotion.

WJD (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: T-shirts are a hit, and they’re going on sale in a few days.  Confident they will sell well.  Will promote on FB and website over the next week or two .

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Discussion: Membership numbers are down.  Many renew at the festival, and we hope to see people renew for WJD.

Financial Report (Scott Krause):
Discussion:  New bookkeeper, to be discussed during motions.  Q3 and Q4 P&L, and 2013 fest P&L to be motioned and approved.  No material changes since last month.  Form 990 submitted.

Website Report (Mike Sullivan)
Discussion: Anonymous donor has agreed to fund best AMS system evaluated for the next 3 years, with possibility to continue in the future . Funds expected within the next few days.  Agreement ready to be signed.  Motion made to bring this to the attention of the board, membership, and show that there is a possibility of an ongoing expense to the IJA.  Will work on this in the final quarter of the year, so we can have a team to work on it, new board, and ready to kick-off the subscription on Oct. 15 2014.  New logo possibility with Louie. Please jot down ideas to be used over the next few months.

5. Motions for Consideration

A.  Motion to approve Dennis Morrison as the new IJA Bookkeeper, with a $10,000 maximum annual payment for services.
Motion: Scott Krause
Second: Lloyd Timberlake
Discussion: Worry with the amount is that he has talked with Holly about money.  May be awkward on amount.  Can Lloyd ask: Do you have any expectations regarding amount?  Advertisement for $8-10k.  Other than that, we haven’t said anything to him.  But he may have talked to Holly.  Hesitation on his end to do the work? No.  Lloyd doesn’t feel he should be an incredibly hard bargainer on this.  If he doesn’t need the money (which he may not as a retired person), that’s fine.
Vote: Motion Passes.

B. Motion to approve the 2013 Q3 Balance Sheet and P&L Statement.
Motion: Lloyd Timberlake
Second:  Scott Krause
Discussion:  None
Vote: Motion Passes

C. Motion to approve the 2013 Q4 Balance Sheet and P&L Statement.
Motion: Lloyd Timberlake
Second: Scott Krause
Discussion: None
Vote: Motion Passes

D. Motion to approve the 2013 Festival P&L Statement.
Motion: Scott Krause
Second: Lloyd Timberlake
Discussion: None
Vote: Motions Passes

E. Motion to change the IJA Championships music policy to require that all music used be Royalty Free Music starting in 2015. All music must be free to use for the IJA in video, starting in 2015.  
Motion: Nathan Wakefield
Second: Lloyd Timberlake
Discussion: Current policy.  Our performers can perform to most music, but need to have the music dubbed for video.  Has been criticism of changing the act by dubbing.  Would be able to preserve the video in its original state.  Music policy has been a headache this year.  E.g. WJF has currently royalty-free only.  Erin heard our current policy was a move toward royalty-free only.  Need to define what Royalty-free music.  Nathan would be interested in drafting this.  Suggestion: “Royalty-free means that it is free to use for the IJA in performance and video.”  Hoping this would remove the need to have BMI and ASCAP licenses for live performances – but we’d still need it for non-competitors such as Cascade of Stars.  May not need BMI and ASCAP.  Idea could be to have the chair renew licenses every year.

Amendment: Nathan Wakefield

Second: Lloyd Timberlake

Further Discussion: None
Vote: Motion passes.

F. Motion to accept the anonymous donation ($19,485.00) to fund the adoption and operation of the YourMembership Association Management System for a term of three years, beginning October 15, 2014, as described in this month’s AMS Project Report.

Motion: Lloyd Timberlake

Second: Scott Krause

Discussion:

Mike suggested going through lawyer, but it is too big of a financial commitment.  Communication agreement is a good idea.  Possibility of various communications (email, etc.).  Regular communications to donor.  Mike can work out.  There are no stipulations from the donor.  Suggestion: Regular report and thank you.  Ongoing cost would be $6495 yearly past the 3rd year (3 years would be included in this donation).  3-year donation requested to provide time to assume recurring cost.

Vote: Motion passes.

6. Varia:

A. Board Elections.

Announcement about mailing in vote.  Members can mail in their ballot, download and send in.  Let people know their voting number through email.  Will be handled by Martin.  Post cards sent to people with no email address in past.  Paperless as of last year.  Marilyn would mail reminders to people with no email address.  Online balloting system may be possible in the future (not this year).  May be provided with new AMS system.  Ballots can go out now, because nominations are closed.  Martin to follow-up on PDF, which may be sent with newsletter.

B. World Juggling Day T-Shirts

Special mail to the members about availability?  We can.  Maybe can also include the ballot and registering for WJD.  WAiting on a picture for the store and exact numbers.  WJD is June 14th this year.  Will discuss off-line.

7. Set May Meetings

Planning meeting:  June 8th, 2014. Topic – preventing board burnout

Board meeting: June 22nd, 2014

8. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: Lloyd Timberlake
Discuss:
Voting: Motion Passes at 6:59p PST.

Board Meeting – May 4, 2014

Agenda 5/4/2014

Planning Board Meeting May 4, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

1. Call to Order

Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at  5:32pm PST.

2. Discussions

  • Lloyd brought up that we need to make sure that we replace Holly’s position.
  • Sustainability of board chair and board members and volunteers.
  • Membership Promotion Planning
    • Affiliates Program Update (Noel and Lloyd)
      • Discussion: First getting a map of the affiliates. Draft e-mail and touch base with current programs.
    • Huge online community – how do we turn online support into membership?
      • Facebook posts about supporting the IJA
      • Advertising membership on eJuggle
      • Youtube (Tricks of the Month – with “Join the IJA Today”?)
      • Members Only content needs Hype!
      • Noel brings up a point that we may want to offer more diverse member only content videos from some of the best of jugglers, street performers, etc.  Nathan’s point is that if we do something like that we need to make sure we hype it well enough.
    • Cross-selling things in store?
      • Increased merch  vs. less merch
        • Nathan thinks it could add more value to our store if there are more items.  Kyle is for that too.  Noel thinks that the IJA needs to rebrand itself especially with the logo prior to doing well with marketing
    • Flow and Fire Community – No input.
    • IJA awareness – merchandise donation to festivals.
      • Included fliers sent to each festival.
      • Can check into current distributor to see if that’s a possibility.
    • Latin-America – Strategies for increasing membership with these jugglers
      • Member Only Content
      • Spanish eJuggle Content Nathan is working on this with Scott.
    • PayPal Issue
      • Paypal is currently the only way people can join the IJA.  One major problem with that is that there are a number of countries where you are unable to use paypal.
      • Scott asked if there are other programs similar to PayPal that do work in these regions of the world.
    • YJA Program
      • Prizes for YEP kids.
      • Scott asks whether there is any content on the website geared towards kids, and whether the IJA content is family friendly enough.
      • Idea to reduce IJA membership rate for YJA participants.
    • Direct-mail campaign?  – Nathan talked about the idea of sending a direct mailing to clubs letting them know about the IJA, about the affiliates program, and offering a discount or special free gift to their club members that sign up for IJA memberships.  Lloyd discussed that this would be good to happen – after the affiliates program has already takes several steps.  To juggling clubs, universities with juggling clubs, offering discounts on memberships if people join.
      • Join today and get a free gift.
        • Buttons, stickers, Iron-ons?  Erin likes buttons, stickers, and iron ons.
    • Membership drive last year on World Juggling Day.
      • 34 new members in one day.
      • One membership drive/year and one donation drive/year.
      • Donations could be in Nov/Dec.
        • Lloyd looked at the last time we did a donation drive.  He said that it could be really easy to do it now that we can do it on email and we can explain that the money will go to fund all of the great programs that the IJA funds.  Lloyd thinks it wouldn’t take much work to get the word out.  Nathan says that this could be a great idea.  Jared also thinks this is a great idea.
        • Scott says that he thinks it is a great idea but that he doesn’t have the timeto do that.  Jared agrees with Scott.
      • Member outreach priorities:
        • Monthly FB promotion of IJA membership
        • 1st steps of Affiliates program
        • Diversify member only content.  Nathan will talk to Scott to brainstorm diversifying member only content.  Erin will brainstorm potential member only content contributors in Latin America.
        • Continue to move forward with options for Spanish translation for eJuggle.
        • Research other merchandise options – Nathan
        • Continue to strategize for doing bigger hype on eJuggle content – especially members only content.
        • Get festival promo material to our merch distributor to send out with all IJA merch shipments.
        • Talk to Ellen about idea of lowering IJA membership rate for YJA participants.  Brainstorm YJA member attractions.
  • Website Update – Donor!
    • There is an annonymous donor willing to pays for the first 3 years of an AMS for the IJA, with potential to go longer.
  • Amazon Smile Program Promotion Plan
    • Scott told us again about the amazon program and how the IJA is signed up for it.  We need to make sure that we promote this.  Also, we especially need to promote this during the holiday season.  Scott emailed us about this as well with all the details.

3. Confirm May 18, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.

4. Adjourn

Motion to adjourn the meeting at 6:35 pm PST.
Motion: Lloyd
Discussion:  Noel suggested that we perhaps devote an entire planning meeting to the topic that Jared brought up (reducing the things the IJA does and offers, etc).
Vote:  Unanimous

 

Board Meeting – April 27, 2014

Business Board Meeting April 27, 2014
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order

Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at   5:37   PM  PST.

2. Roll

Present: Erin Stephens (chair), Lloyd Timberlake, Nathan Wakefield, Scott Krause, Jared Davis, Noel Yee, Mike Sullivan (future fest coordinator), Cody Fiereck (2014 festival director), Jim Maxwell.  Martin Frost joined at 5:39pm PT.

Absent: Kyle Johnson

3. Approval of Agenda
Motion:   Scott
Second by: Lloyd
Discussion:
Vote:  Passes Unanimously

4. Approval of Minutes:
March 23
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Scott
Discussion:
Vote: Passes Unanimously

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for future festival discussion)

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck)
Discussion:  Try to include updated information in upcoming newsletter.

2015 Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)
Discussion:  Going well.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion on El Paso for 2016. Motion to vote below.
Discussion: There is some concern about the heat during that time of year, but may not be too bad. Jim feels that it might be difficult initially to get people excited about El Paso, but with proper promotion, could be effective in gaining interest. Mike says that it is fairly easy to cross the border from Mexico if you are a tourist, only needing a passport and not a visa, making it easier for people to attend. Scott asks to verify that room rebates are sound, Mike booked under the assumption of 500 nights at the hotel with rebates paid. Nathan mentioned concerns about having a concern about the Plaza reserved, Mike mentions prevision contract, or pursuing a different theater option. Noel is feeling better about this venue than he was previously. El Paso is one of the safest cities in America, so that would be a good selling point.

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)
Discussion: Scott asked about the marketing of the buttons, it has been mentioned on eJuggle, but are not trying to over promote at this point due to not having a lot of material to make them at the moment. Noel suggests Lapel Pin Super Store as a good resource of large quantities of future botton needs.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)
Discussion:

IRC (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: Scott brings up the idea of having computers at festivals to make registration easy for those without home computers, but it is likely not feasible at this point.

WJD (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Membership Brainstorm
Discussion: Jim is working on an Affiliates report and provides his thoughts on the steps towards an effective Affiliates Program. Noel, Lloyd, and Jim want to set up a time for discussion. Scott talks about how he said up an Amazon Smile program for the IJA.

Financial Report (Scott Krause):
Discussion:

Website Report (Mike Sullivan)
Discussion: We are waiting to hear back from a donor.

5. Motions for Consideration

A.  Motion to approve contract with Turbo 418 for the 2015 IJA Festival.

Motion: Noel
Second: Lloyd
Discussion:
Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

B. Motion to approve the contract with Cégep Limoilou as the gym and camping space for the 2015 IJA festival.

Motion: Scott
Second:  Noel
Discussion: Scott would like clarification on payment terms. Some of the contract wording is unusual due, likely due to translation.
Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

C. Motion to approve the El Paso, Texas festival proposal for the 2016 IJA Festival.

Motion: Scott.
Second: Lloyd.
Discussion: Noel feels that whomever is makes the contract, should immediately begin working with marketing.
Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

D. Motion to approve offering a special IJA membership rate of 249 Mexican pesos/ adults and 179 Mexican pesos/youth at the Periplo International Circus Festival in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Motion: Lloyd
Second: Jared
Discussion: Scott inquires about how the currency translation comes out, and suggests hitting price points to make them more appealing in Mexican currency. Motion was amended to be in pesos.
Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

6. Varia:

A. Bookkeeper position discussion.  (Lloyd Timberlake) We are waiting on setting up an appointment to move forward.

B. Festival Promo. Get the word out! Promote the festival on social media, etc.

C. International IJA Board Members. We had someone from Hungary call about wanting to potentially be a board member. Only real concern would be able to make it to board meetings with the time difference.

7. Set May Meetings

Planning meeting: May 4th
Board meeting: May 18th

8. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: Noel
Discuss:
Voting: Motion passes unanimously.

Board Meeting – April 7, 2014

Planning Board Meeting April 7, 2013

6:00pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

1. Call to Order

Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at  6:05 pm PST.

2. Discussions

  • New Bookkeeper Update (Lloyd)
    • Will talk to others to gauge continuing interest.
    • Lloyd will find times to set up talks between candidates, Scott, and Erin.
    • Three good candidates, in addition to another who wanted to determine interest.
      • Can use Doodle Poll
    • Really important to get this off Holly’s plate, based on her original wishes.
    • Phone conversation with Holly.
      • Payment situation.
      • Transition availability.
    • Questions to include:
      • International experience.
    • Target: Interviews complete by next meeting.
  • Membership Brainstorm
    • Discussion on membership, situation, and plans to address.
    • Affiliates
      • No time to dedicate this year.  Our designated people have been unable to dedicate their time.
      • Jim Maxwell – affiliates officer.
      • To do – check back in with him.  (Lloyd)
        • Brochure promoting IJA membership.
        • Plan @ upcoming festival.
        • Straw man requests from affiliates .
        • Give and take information between IJA and affiliates.
        • Regional festival representation.
    • Latin-American Jugglers
      • IJA has lots of prestige there.
      • Certification from the IJA for teaching, funding, etc.
        • Association with IJA (Affiliates program)
        • YEP
    • Effort through Noel to get members through Flow community.
      • Flow tricks of the month.
        • Poi, Staff
      • Flow members coming to the IJA festival this year.
      • Flow show in Chicago.
      • Increasing cool factor
    • Fire community
      • 2 fire nights this year.
      • FIRE is a fire performance troupe.
      • Lots of overlap between Flow and
      • Cyrille Humen (fire “god”) is a special guest at the festival.
      • Hoopers, too .
    • YJA program
      • Button program about to be launched.  Achievement awards.
      • Fund raiser at the festival.
      • IJA membership encouragement.
    • Huge online community we’ve built.
      • Facebook, Youtube.
      • How to turn into membership?
      • Change in model?
      • Memberships are on the way out.  Its going on the way out in general.
      • Continuing the membership model or looking at other models.
      • Advertising on eJuggle
      • Cross-sell things on the store?
        • Mike sullivan & Jared – we should get rid of the store completely, because we don’t have the people to do so.
      • Monthly FB post.  If you like this, help support the IJA and become a member.
        • Exclusive stuff, as well as supporting the community.
        • In spanish.
      • Paypal is only way for people to join membership.
        • Some countries do not allow paypal for membership .
    • Schools & children’s outreach.
      • Want to talk to Jim about plans for affiliates.
      • YJA plans.
    • IJA awareness – merchandise donation to festivals.
      • Included fliers sent to each festival.
      • Can check into current distributor to see if that’s a possibility.
    • Members’ only content needs hype.
      • Sometimes things aren’t advertised enough.
      • Wes Peden’s hype was great.  Every members-only content should be hyped similarly.
    • Direct-mail campaign?
      • To juggling clubs, universities with juggling clubs, offering discounts on memberships if people join.
      • Join today and get a free gift.
        • Buttons, stickers, Iron-ons?
    • Festival Presence
      • Online registration only can be problematic.
      • Latin-american festivals can have issues.
    • Amazon Smile Program
      • Scott will look into setting up.
    • Membership drive last year on World Juggling Day.
      • 34 new members in one day.
      • One membership drive/year and one donation drive/year.
      • Donations could be in Nov/Dec.
    • Need to have people to do these.
      • Probably at next planning meeting for delegation.
      • Realistic/do-able/timely.
      • Send out list earlier so people can
      • Update people on this.
  • 2014 Festival Update
    • Renegade, site, school didn’t know they needed to set up registration for housing & food, as stated in the contract.
    • Plan to have an all-department meeting.
    • They’ll give us an answer in 6 more days.
    • Have performers approaching organizers to offer acts for show.
    • Championship entries are may 15th.
    • Promotional video is going to be released very soon.
      • Suggestions to add some poi stuff, to help with Flow community.
      • Cyrille promo tape.
  • 2015 Festival Update
    • Contracts to be approved at upcoming meeting.
    • Promotional plan created, to begin at this year’s festival.
      • Online landing page.
      • Stickers to hand out.
      • Grant of $10,000 to make 6 videos, one of them an IJA 2015 promo video.
    • Grant providers from CA will attend this year’s festival to see what it is like.
    • Banking situations between US and CA banking.
    • Taxes between the two countries.  (Will hopefully be informed by new book keeper).

3. Confirm April 27, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.

4. Adjourn
Lloyd  made the motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:00  pm PST.
Discussion:
Vote:

Board Meeting – March 23, 2014

Business Board Meeting March 23, 2014
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

Start the Recording

1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at 5:38  PM  PST.

2. Roll
Present: Erin Stephens (chair), Lloyd Timberlake, Nathan Wakefield, Kyle Johnson
Cody Fiereck (2014 festival director), Martin Frost (communications director)

Absent: Scott, Noel, Jared, Mike

3. Approval of Agenda
Motion:   Lloyd
Second by: Kyle
Discussion:
Vote: Approved

4. Approval of Minutes:
February 2, 2014
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Nathan
Discussion:
Vote: Approved

February 16, 2014
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Kyle
Discussion:
Vote: Approved

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less)

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck) Good progress. Looking for new events and new people. Have a kendama open and footbag competition. Progress on busking competition, partnering with Farmers Market to have a parade to market. Putting rules on juggle-org site. Will also have material on busking. Medals are ordered. Award plaques are ordered. All trophies but busking set. Youth dorms organized. Working on ballroom issue to see where we do Renegade. Getting close to 200 registrations.

Discussion: Registrations tend to stop when Early Bird stops. Got 164 in Early Bird. Doing more promo and more flyer distribution. Need info on kendama contest to put on blogs. Have got info to footbag people.

2015 Festival Report (Lloyd Timberlake) Turbo got grant to do videos of festival. Turbo will check contract with IJA at end of March. Waiting on contract with Circus School. Got contract with theater. Need to promote at Purdue, elsewhere. Have a Quebec performer in Welcom Show.

Discussion:

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: Mike is pushing El Paso; others are pushing against. We need to chime in on forums. It is a long way from Texas juggling scenes. Facilities are good but it is a long drive from almost everywhere. People tend to go to festivals within a day’s drive. Attendance will be low. Other remote places like Sparks and Portland have strong scenes. Encourage him to continue to pursue Iowa? But it is tough to get to. We should ask clubs or organizations to host festivals.

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)
Botton Designs

Discussion:  First round of buttons are being made and leaders are excited about them Buttons look good. Costs about $3 a button, but swag excites. YJA got some donations for the button program. And kids can get prizes. Any kid who is IJA member can participate.

Marketing (Kyle Johnson) Sent out six different packages to different areas and organizations. Sending out flyers to Belgium.

Discussion: Send to juggling club in Chicago. Send to Bruce Bailey or Brian Bailey. Graphics also being done for next newsletter, hyping performers who are coming. Need to get people to register for championship.

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

WJD (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: We should all get involved. Look on website. Got the video out.

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan) Down slightly. Been some member content on Facebook. But things being posted and not showing up. Kyle will get back to posting.

Discussion:

Financial Report (Scott Krause)

Discussion:  No report from Treasurer. Need to think about how to get new treasurer.

5. Motions for Consideration

A.  Motion to approve contract with Véronique Provencher as the 2015 IJA Festival Director.
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Kyle
Discussion: Standard, similar to Cody, but changed for Canada and has possibility of bonus.
Vote: Approved unanimously.

B. Motion to approve the contract with the Imperial Theater in Quebec, Canada for two shows during the 2015 IJA Festival.
Motion: Lloyd
Second: Kyle
Discussion: Original idea was four shows in this venue, but we are switching some to Circus School. So only two nights in this theater. Welcome show will be outside downtown.
Vote: Passed unanimously.

6. Varia:

A. Website discussion – Mike – were you able to respond to the questions from the donor about the website? Lloyd will follow up with Mike.

B. Bookkeeper position discussion.  (Lloyd Timberlake) Need to get conversation with candidate and Holly. Have two other good candidates.

C. Festival Promo. Get the word out!

Nathan: Pablo the video editor should start editing 2013 as soon as possible. We thought most performers used royalty free music but this was not the case. Need to approach performers and tell them we will send them out silent if they do not offer royalty free music. Can they offer commentary? That would be odd. Performers should provide their own royalty free music. Otherwise who does it?

Check the Forums! Subscribe to the Forums!! This gives us emails when new postings appear.

May 15 is deadline for new board members to come forward. We need to promote some more. Nathan re-running.

7. Set April Meetings
Discussion meeting: 6 April
Board meeting: 27 April

8. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: Kyle
Discuss:
Voting: Approved