Board Meeting – December 23rd, 2014

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 637 pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield,  Louie Skaradek, Jared Davis, Warren Hammond, Kyle Johnson, Afton Benson, Neilfred Picciotto, Martin Frost, Veronique Provencher, Viveca Gardiner

Absent: Mike Sullivan, Noel Yee, Lucho Fernandez

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Kyle Johnson

Second by: Louie

Discussion:

Vote:  Approved Unanimously

  1. Approval of Minutes:

November 18th, 2014

Motion: Louie

Second: Warren

Discussion:

Vote: Minutes approved

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:  Nathan went over the report for everyone.  Nathan and others are planning on putting together a video for TurboFest to use to promote at their info session regarding the IJA Festival.  There are concerns about omitting the Butterfly Man’s name from the busker competition.  Veronique was late to the meeting.  She discussed her report.  We also discussed the name of the competition with her.  Veronique is completing another grant request.  She finished a sponsor request of $10,000 from the local bank for the outdoor activities.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:  The report is 65 pages long.  Board members liked the proposals from Springfield MA and Salt Lake City.  Cedar Rapids was another option.  So, we have many options for 2017 and beyond.  Martin says we haven’t been to the East coast in a long time and we have many members there.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:  The YJA has a lot going on.  Kyle mentioned he sat in on a YJA class in Burlingame, CA.  Bekah Hammond really enjoyed her experience teaching representing the YJA in India.

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:  Louie did some really cool stuff with a postcard and ad for Circus Harmony.  Kyle sent some postcards to Master Ong’s prop shop and they placed them in their orders.  He said that they actually contacted Kyle and asked for more of them.  18,260 likes on facebook.  Woo!

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion: She contacted someone about a week ago and she hasn’t heard back from him yet.  She needs to know what she needs to report.  Warren expressed interest in seeing how much money we have to pay an executive director.  Scott set up our Amazon smile program.  We discussed the need for a calendar.  Louie expressed that he would like to have a monthly update of money in and out as well as money in and out for the festival, etc.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion:

Video Tutorial Contest Report (Thom Wall)
Discussion: There was a low turnout this year.  Nathan suggests that in future years we have the prizes in hand before promoting the prizes and video tutorial competition.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:  Nathan went over the report with everyone during the meeting.

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the new proposed IJA Stage Championships Timing system, effective beginning in 2015.

Motion: Kyle

Second: Warren

Discussion: Viveca clarified why they wanted to make this change.  Kyle asked if it was the same in the past for competitors to be disqualified for going a minute over time.

Vote: Jared opposes the motion.  Motion passes.

 

B.Motion to approve new purposed IJA Stage Championship Rules, effective beginning in 2015.

Motion: Kyle

Second:Warren

Discussion: Neilfred said that the goal is to specify what the competition is for.  Viveca said that they want it to be about what they are doing.

Vote: Kyle abstained.  Motion passes.

 

  1. Motion to discuss proposed IJA Stage Scoring System changes with intent to vote for one of them.
    Option 1.
    Option 2.

Motion: Kyle

Second: Louie

Discussion:  Viveca explained why they want these changes.  There was lots of discussion regarding options 1 and 2.

Vote:  Nathan abstains.  Motion passes.

Motion: Warren made a motion to vote on option number one as the new scoring system for the stage system.

Second: Jared

Discussion: None

Vote: Louie opposed.  Nathan abstains.  Motion passes.

 

  1. Motion to approve a $75 half page print ad to be placed in the Circus Harmony: Guibilante program book.

Motion: Warren

Second: Kyle

Discussion:  Afton talked about circus harmony and how they raise money for their organization.  Motion was amended to be for a ½ page and $75 rather than a ¼ page and $50.

Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

 

  1. Motion to Approve an Executive Director Search Committee consisting of: Lloyd Timberlake, Jim Maxwell, Nathan Wakefield, Nathan Peterson, Thom Wall, Noel Yee, and Warren Hammond (Committee Chair).

    Motion: Kyle

    Second: Louie

    Discussion: Warren said that these are people he knows and thinks would be great assets to choosing an executive director.

 

Vote:  Motion passes unanimously.

F.  Motion to approve the IRC South America proposal and a maximum budget of $500 towards the event – with the stipulation that a venue must be secured no less than 3 months in advance. Proposal Link

Motion: Kyle

Second: Louie

Discussion: Nathan expressed concern that last year the IJA only allotted $500 for the IRCs and this is tripling that amount without factoring in other possible IRCs later in 2015.  (Erin called in and joined the call while we were discussing this.)  There was ample discussion about how much to spend.  Kyle made a motion to amend the amount to $500 from $750 and Louie seconded it as well.

Vote:  Motion passes unanimously.

G. Motion to approve the IRC Central America proposal and a maximum budget of $500 towards the event.  Proposal Link

Motion: Kyle

Second: Warren

Discussion: None

 

Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Ideas to make membership more appealing.

Discussion:  Something to keep in mind.

 

  1. Set January Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – January 6th  6:30 ET  

Next Board Meeting – January 20th at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Warren

Discuss: None

Voting: None

Meeting adjourned at 9:08  pm ET.

Board Meeting – November 18th, 2014

Business Board Meeting November 18th, 2014

Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 6:35pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Mike Sullivan, Noel Yee, Louie Skaradek, Jared Davis, Warren Hammond, Kyle Johnson, Lucho Fernandez

Absent: Erin, Martin, Veronique

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Louie

Second by: Jared

Discussion:

Vote: motion passes unanimously

  1. Approval of Minutes:

October 21st, 2014

Motion:  Lucho

Second: Louie

Discussion:

Vote: Motion Passes Unanimously

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

2015 IJA Festival Report and Position Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:  Figuring out registration needs some attention – Louie, we have a new system coming in and we can share the workload amongst many people.  Mike willing to get set up and launch for this event, but cannot run the registrar- Mike.   The registrar will need internet access and a computer, will need to have some level of experience with the festival.  Noel volunteers to help open the registration system but needs help and experience with how to run it.   Can we run mock registration- sometime in feb, ran 30-40 tests for perdue. – mike.    Would it be prudent to have a back up system in place.  Vero does not have a preference for when the system can be put into place, preferably after Turbo in Jan- Mike.

What tiered system do we want to have? – Nathan.  We give away too much money on registration, two week early registration, then normal and then onsite registration- Mike

Why do we need to make a profit on the IJA festival?  – Warren.  Suggestion: is to find out how money is allocated.

NEXT STEPS for Registration Process- Mike gets a test site up.  Noel Vero and gets exact planning and details for registration in her mind.  Mike and Noel meet for an hour prior to christmas.

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:  Mike is pursuing options for 2017.  Good leads from springfield, MA.  Vancouver, BC.  Noel will put Mike in touch with Circus west and Ally Oop.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion: Kyle is posting daily on facebook.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:  Recently obtained videos by nathan biggs penton, wes peden and others.   Nathan is still working on the bonus parts of the video.

Different amounts of views have changed on the facebook page.   Frequent video content seems to bring positive viewership to the site.   Future of ejuggle, will it be rolled into a new site or separate?  – Louie.  Been discussed and alot of people believe that there should be more connection between both sites.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve Afton Benson as IJA Treasurer for the remainder of the 2014-2015 term.
    Letter of Interest

Motion: Louie

Second: Warren

Discussion:  Nathan will inform denis and afton to coordinate and delegate duties.

Vote: motion passes unanimously

  1. Motion to approve Louie Skaradek as IJA Graphic Designer for the remainder of the 2014-2015 term.
    Letter of Interest

Motion: Warren

Second: Noel

Discussion:  thinks he does a great job- Nathan.   For mainly programs and brochures.

Vote: motion passes unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve and enact the revised IJA Music Policy, effective upon approval starting with the 2015 festival stage competitions.

Music Policy Document

Motion: Kyle

Second: Louie

Discussion:  Acts for Cascade, Welcome and other shows do not have to have licensed music.

Vote:  motion passes unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve and enact the revised IJA Scoring System, effective upon approval starting with the 2015 festival stage competitions.

Scoring System Rules

Motion: Kyle

Second: Lucho

Discussion:

Warren confused with rephrased wording.  “best be described….”  Are we talking about these other things or is the latter the case.  “The What is juggling” Category.  Will they also be disqualified for different reason.    Warren likes the revamped scoring.  It will better reflect the audience.  Warren is sad to see stage presence go.

What is juggling is the biggest question?  The stage competition also defines what juggling is.

Vote:  opposed: Kyle, Warren, Louie, Noel, Jared, Lucho, Nathan

Motion not passed

Next Step: Warren will speak to Vivica about issues with the motion.

 

  1.  Motion to designate Jek Kelly, Alan Howard, Steve Rahn, and Bob Neuman as the 2015 Awards Committee with Jek Kelly serving as the Chair.

Motion: Warren

Second: Kyle

Discussion: Yah!  Great people. Vero reached out to them already and they are on board for 2015.

Vote:  motion passed unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve the following annual financial statements: Balance Sheet as of 6/30/14 (2nd Qtr.), YTD Profit & Loss as of 6/30/14, 2nd Qtr. Profit & Loss (4/14-6/14), Balance Sheet as of 3/31/14 (1st Qtr.), 1st Qtr. Profit & loss  (1/14-3/14).

 

Motion: Kyle

Second:  Louie

Discussion:  How do we get an idea to see what we are working with from year to year where do i look?  – Warren.

Vote: motion passes unanimously

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Logo Update

Discussion: Louie will update some new colors and things for the new logo.   Nathan will check with American Youth Circus about design options.

 

  1. Executive Director

Discussion: Made a rough outline interms of finding an executive directior.  Needs to create a search committee.  This is composed of board members, members and officers from within the organization.   Officers are the most important… they are the ones that are working most closely with the new ED.  Other option is to hire a search firm to find the ED.   Make contact with Lloyd, Thom and others to find this person.

Warren is forming a committee to help obtain the ED.

  1. Board Communication/Attendance

Discussion:
New Facebook group created for the group to exist.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/370194499823928/

 

  1. Set December Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting- December 9th 6:30 ET  

Next Board meeting December 23rd at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Warren

Discuss:

Voting: Motion passes

Meeting adjourned at 8:42  pm ET.