Board Meeting December 21st, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:41 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Warren Hammond, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present: Nathan, Louie, Bob, Shivella, Mike, Erin, Martin, Jim, Marvin

 

Absent: Warren, Noel, Afton

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Bob

Second by: Shivella

Discussion: Contract on agenda is being last moment edited for any typos, etc.

Vote: Approved Unanimously

  1. Approval of Minutes:

November 11th, 2015

Motion: Shivella

Second: Louie

Discussion: Nil

Vote: Approved Unanimously

 

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Nothing Major. Items in progress from last meeting.

 

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

Discussion: Successful Site Visit in El Paso. Convenient and Compact, food located nearby. Pre Reg Numbers to El Paso at least a week before. Need numbers to estimate the brunch purchases. Early bird prices the same. The others ticketed up slightly to cover budget gap. In the black – some gap and space, to be fine tuned in the future more.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FiRIz5qYWEJdNY9tkdNNGXh1a6U0_OonCX-1GdpBFDc/edit#gid=1243665727

Above link is the festival budget.

Brunch – festival wristband based – or for the day. Wristband for brunch on the day they have the daily pass for. Possible punch the wristband for the daily band. Need a volunteer to man the door of the brunch. Publish exact rules of how you can get brunch, and how you may miss it. Possible over brunches we can be generous with. Championships or Brunches. Reach out to Arizona, New Mexico and Texas Festivals to promote El Paso in 2016.

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: GABO created solid design for the 2016 festival. Solid graphics for facebook and stickers. Facebook and Instagram going well, twitter needs a little help. Overall marketing is up and reaching many people. Promotional videos made and doing well for the IRC’s. Immediate marketing is key in these new areas. Solid Latino presence and Spanish Language dominance in Facebook views. Exploring representatives from other southern countries – Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: All moving along, Happy Holidays.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion: Monthly Payouts in there. Work out a pay per content situation for some of the videos and content that other people provide. Remind Scott he can come to us about specific video and eJuggle project budgets.

 
Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: How do we increase IJA membership? Videos and social media outlining the benefits of joining the IJA. Problem of sending in dues. Visa and Mastercard would be the best way to get dues. But how do we reach others? Need more exploration of the actual process of payment of dues for Southern Countries.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Keep it growing. Almost 5 countries and areas are developing solidly.

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

I’m registered to attend (free of charge) the National Association of Sports Commissions (NASC) Symposium in Grand Rapids, MI in April. This is another “buyer’s marketplace, reverse tradeshow” meeting, where I expect to meet and qualify more than 40 potential festival destinations, starting work on sites for 2019. Anyone with any feedback on our selection criteria or other things we want to change for our 72nd annual festival in 2019, please speak up.

Discussion: Nil

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve signing The Get Smart Group Contract

Motion: Bob
Second: Louie
Discussion: Association correction.
Vote: Unanimously Approved

  1. Motion to approve paying annual dues of $100 for membership to the National Association of Sports Commissions.

Motion: Shivella

Second: Louie

Discussion: National Governing Body – we claim the title rights to have a national championship. Allows us to learn and grow as an organization.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to direct the Webmaster to:

 

  1. Effective as soon as feasible, re-direct all traffic destined for www.juggle.org and juggle.org to IJA’s new website, which now resides at ym.juggle.org. This will have the effect of making the YM site responsive by default for traffic directed to www.juggle.org or juggle.org.
  2. Coordinate the technical requirements with the YourMembership system to make a transparent switch in destination for the traffic described above.
  3. Further re-direct all traffic from the ym.juggle.org domain to the new default URL, juggle.org.

 

The aim of this motion is to rationalize our web presence as we get ramped up for the 2016 festival. Essentially everything any IJA member or prospective member will want to know or do with the IJA for the next nine months will be housed and handled by the YM system. Very little content of any import or interest will be at the legacy site, which is now juggle.org and www.juggle.org.

 

Links to the legacy site, which can be archived in place at archive.juggle.org, can be place at the top and/or bottom of every page at the YM site.

 

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion: Mike and Martin. Friendly amendment to remove January 1st from wording. Consolidate to juggle.org – old site is archived. dev.juggle.org is already an archive site. We do have a responsibility to keep the history of the IJA online.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to approve Robert Gooding as the 2015 Festival Video Editor with the general terms outlined in the below contract pending wording revision by Nathan and Martin.

 

2015 Festival Video Editor Contract

 

Motion: Louie

Second: Shivella

Discussion:

Vote:  Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to approve the IRC Mexico 2016 Proposal from the Periplo International Circus Convention, including the approval of a $400 budget from the IJA for prizes and publicity.

Motion: Marvin

Second: Bob

Discussion: $300 Prize Money – $100 Medals and Promotion : $400 total

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to approve the IRC Central America 2016 Proposal from Malabarismo Tico, with the agreement of funding $400 from the IJA budget.

Motion: Bob

Second: Shivella

Discussion: Same place that hosted it in 2015. Hosted in Costa Rica, San Jose. Had a discussion – Una Med sponsored a large part of the event last year. Rental and Stage – possibly need coverage of stage rental for $1000 US Dollars. Will be less ‘professional’ than last year with a smaller budget.

Vote:  Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to approve initial operating budget of 2016 IJA Festival proposed by Jim Maxwell.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FiRIz5qYWEJdNY9tkdNNGXh1a6U0_OonCX-1GdpBFDc/edit#gid=1243665727

 

Motion: Bob

 

Second: Shivella

 

Discussion:

 

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Varia:
  1. 2017 Festival Director
  2. International Payment Methods

 

  1. Set January Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – Jan. 4th

Next Board Meeting – Jan. 18th

 

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Shivella and Louie

Discuss: A lot to do and much resolved.

Voting: All Approved then.

Meeting adjourned at 9:24 pm ET.

 

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas.

Enjoy all the things. Thank you for being part of the work of the International Jugglers Association.

Board Meeting November 16th, 2015

 

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:36 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Warren Hammond, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present: Nathan, Louie, Bob, Marvin, Shivella, Mike, Afton, Erin, Jim
Absent: Warren, Noel, Martin

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Bob

Second by: Shivella

Discussion: None

Vote: All Approved

 

  1. Approval of Minutes:

October 19th, 2015

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion: None

Vote: All Approved

 

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Membership up a little. Festival Financials getting close to wrapping up. Little communication issue with Turbo (Veronique is no longer with Turbo). Up a little for this year, even though the festival was a loss. Loss of $7-8K possible more 8-10K because of adjustments to donation money. Include Donation of prize money on P and L statement. Fine tuning of P and L and how donation money comes in and out needs to be done. Go as Income, per Afton.

 

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

Draft Budget

Discussion: 2016 Festival Budget laid out and projected income from packages. Set for a loss of 7,612 dollars. Going back to drawing board a little to tighten things up. Hopefully have a more full and accurate report from 2016, because 2015 was not that well tracked. Figuring out a brunch – ?? – truck vendors, etc? Can we come in under $25000 for brunch? Possible have left over brunch cover other budget expenses to more even up the total festival profit/loss. Check into entertainment and getting quality shows at a good price. Work out some conditions on the brunches, who, where what to do with it. Feed the festival attendees one good meal a day for five days. Site visit in a couple weeks. Going to get more concrete info about food ideas after the visit. Kinda all lean a little more towards not raising the price of the festival package. Early bird package April 1st -18th two week-ish period. Start to announce hotels in the November newsletter. Camino Re-All? Double check with them and when the bookings can start. People are starting to want to book the hotels.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: New Website up and Running. …

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion: None, except budget dot dot dot and IRC videos

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Internationally growing.

 

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: South America, digging the IJA. Gearing up festival designs and marketing. Looking at monthly budgets and focusing in on membership.

 

AMS (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: Nothing new except project proposal.

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to accept the 2015 3rd Quarter Balance Sheet.
    Balance Sheet

Motion: Bob
Second: Louie
Discussion: None
Vote: All Approved

  1. Motion to accept the 2015 3rd Quarter Profit and Loss Statement.
    P&L Statement
    Motion: Bob
    Second: Shivella
    Discussion: None
    Vote: All Approved

 

  1. Motion to add proposed payout information to IJA Festival competition pages where applicable:
    Payout proposal

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion: Reviewed

Vote: All Approved

 

  1. Motion to approve the following people for the 2016 Festival’s Honorary Awards Committee: Alan Howard (Chair), Bob Neuman, Jay Gilligan.

 

Motion: Louie
Second: Shivella
Discussion: Probably establish a hard deadline for this. Trying finish the nominations before the Dec holidays. Then approve and ready by January to Notify the people.

 

Vote: Motion Passes. Bob Abstains.

 

  1. Motion to increase the eJuggle Budget to $800/month beginning January of 2016.

    Budget Proposal

    Motion: Bob
    Second: Shivella
    Discussion: Breaking out some of the budget items. What do we do to balance the content providers with proper compensation. Possible per video voting for the videos and larger money item content. $650 is current monthly payment. Is there any kind of audit trail for this money? Scott has a spread sheet and people are paid by checks. Dennis or Scott could answer the questions of where this money goes. Can we get a spread sheet of the in / out of the eJuggle? Bob and Shivella – it might be a good idea to get a spreadsheet of the monthly expenditures.

Vote: Opposed: Bob, Louie, Nathan, Shivella  For: Marvin – MOTION FAILS

 

  1. Motion to take from the table the motion to approve and proceed with the Get Smart Group’s IJA Website proposal. (voting on the tabled motion from last month, not the new contract details)
    IJA Website Proposal
    Motion: Bob
    Second: Shivella
    Discussion: Back on the agenda for discussion and vote. This is mainly discussion phase and then any changes can be made to the motion and then we can figure out how to go forward. Review of the proposal and the call. Site map – decide what is worth going over (80% into archives). Migrate pieces over. Then do the website redesign and logo and refresh and colors etc for last. Lots of talk of how to break this down into digestible pieces and not having an open ended budget. Seeing if there is an option for a flat rate. Discuss the content of the contract and all go over the details. So hopefully by next meeting we can have the actual vote for a realized project contract.

 

Vote: Opposed: Louie       Abstain: Bob, Nathan      For: Marvin, Shivella

MOTION PASSES

 

  1. Motion to approve the 2016 IJA Regional Competition Proposal – Middle East from the Israeli Juggling Convention, including the approval of a $500 budget from the IJA for prizes and publicity.

Motion: Shivella

Second: Louie

Discussion: Moving along and looking good! Mid East Festival Board is excited and going ahead.

 

Vote: Opposed: Bob     Abstain:       For: Marvin, Nathan, Shivella, Louie

MOTION PASSES

 

  1. Varia:
  1. 2017 Festival Director – possible director found – Cheryl Sayers – Cedar Rapids.
  2. Liability insurance promotion – promotion – get it going, approach people outside our current group. Dale Widdeck – client advocate. Insure a club possibly, find a deal to insure our affiliates – some sort of policy for them to get a meeting space – sometimes they need insurance to get a meeting space.

 

  1. Set December Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – Dec  7th 7:30 pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – Dec 21st 7:30 pm ET.

 

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Shivella

Discuss: NIL

Voting: None Oppose

Meeting adjourned at 9:27 pm ET.

Board Meeting October 19th, 2015

 

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: __7:41____ pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Warren Hammond, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present: Shivella, Noel, Nathan, Bob, Mike, Martin, Jim, Erin
Absent:    Louis, Marvin, Afton,Warren

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Bob

Second by: Shivella

Discussion:

Vote: Approved Unanimously

 

  1. Approval of Minutes:

September 21st, 2015

Motion: Noel

Second: Bob

Discussion:

Vote: Approved Unanimously

 

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
P & L Draft
Report

Discussion:  Noel- Do we know the amount expected in?  Nathan- the outdoor grant is expected, the amount is unknown. Nathan touched base with Turbo last week and they are awaiting the city’s answer.  Noel expressed that the deficit is much less than the last report (from 20k to 7k). Jim- Merchandise does not have an actual amount… questions over the shirts getting lumped into miscellaneous. Jim- have the invoices been seen and verified for the rental fees for the site? Questions concerning why the budgeting is not matching the amounts. No income listing for camping. These are items that were tracked and not listed on the P&N. Noel- April 29th email from Vero is 10k grant (Canadian?) for outdoor events. Has not been confirmed. Nathan- some of the expenses had to be done through turbo and then to IJA which makes the final figures difficult to reconcile. Martin-Grants should be line item- very specifically. Jim-our working budget for 2016 is in the works and the P & L from this year makes it difficult. Bob- concerns that Turbo did not keep enough records, going on in the future- for IJA not to turn event over to another organization based on. Erin- It is difficult to say who is considered an outsider, especially if the organization is a competent organization. Our communication needs to be more standard. Martin- every expense should be listed, at some area and not lumped into miscellaneous. Even if its not on the P&L there must be a record somewhere to come up with the lumped amount.

Up Next:

Updated P&L

Meeting with Vero (over P&L and accounting issues)

Next board meeting voting on the P&L post meeting with Vero.

 

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

Discussion: Jim- is still working on the budget.

Jim’s request Pricing Tiers-

Question? Only charged early bird and at festival pricing? The last 3-4 years early bird, online, at festival pricing. Martin and Mike will compile the information for Jim.

-Actual Pricing for Early bird/Reg-Online/ At festival pricing

adult early 199/229/259

-Youth and senior pricing- 119 (can)

– Championship prize money- Iwii & Unamed adding onto the IJA contribution. What is IJA Contribution to each category. Jim is looking for the breakdown per team/individual.

Once Jim has this info he will be able to finalize budget.

Dec 3-4 Mike, Jim, will make a site visit for planning and budgeting.

 

-Gauntlet team in place

-Joggling- Emily will be director again

-Albert Lucas- would like to contribute to the event in any way he is needed in El Paso.

-Vivica and Neil will do championships

-Mary and Scott Cane numbers com

-Keith Nelson and Mark- renegade

-Extreme juggling

– Busking is the real question- in the past has been year on and year off. Jim is leaning toward not having a busking competition. New info from Erin and Noel confirmed that busking does in fact happen yearly.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion: There is a lot of content coming up. Mike-Podcast-has been a drawn out project. Not sure if it is a project that we are able to complete. Itunes will not accept the feed, as of yet.

 
Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Noel- progress of holiday membership? In the past had a drive for holiday. Perhaps having a discussion with Marilyn over ideas of holiday drive. Once emails are sent, Nathan will

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Erin in Peru for another 5 weeks.

 

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: No discussion

 

AMS (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

-getting ready for hosting the next fest. No update

 

  1. Motions for Consideration

 

  1. Motion to approve the following people for the following Officer Positions for the 2015-2016 term:

    David Landowne, Webmaster

Mike Sullivan, Future Festivals Site Coordinator

Rinus Samyn, European Representative

Juan Mendez Rosas, Mexican Representative

Mike Moore, Canadian Representative

Louie Skaradek, Graphic Designer

Scott Seltzer, eJuggle Editor in Chief

Erin Stephens, IRC Director

Thom Wall, Video Tutorial Director

Alan Howard, Archives Director

Marilyn Sullivan, Membership Director & Chief Teller

Don Lewis and Martin Frost, eNewsletter Editors

Jim Maxwell, Affiliates Director

Heather Marriott, Store Manager

Nathan Wakefield, Video Coordinator

Martin Frost, Communications Director

Rob Detweiler, Merchandise Distributor
Erin Stephens, Marketing Director
Afton Benson, Treasurer

Motion: Bob

Second:Shivella

Discussion: Nathan- most people are running unopposed.

Vote: Passed

 

  1. Motion to approve the proposed championships rule changes.

Proposed Championships Rule Changes
Motion: Shivella
Second: Bob
Discussion: Bob- are there costs with doing bank/wire transfer. Jim- if possible to make it check or paypal. If the fee is a percentage than it can be costly. Noel- be more specific on the currency and dollar amount. Erin- Western Union- $30 for those out of country participants that will not be able to paypal. Bob- if we are an international organization- then we should be able to send the money without too much hassle. Bob- Add Western Union to the list to make sure we are clear so the recipient knows how they can get the money. Erin-proposes that we take off the names of all except the championships rules
Motion to amend motion to remove names off all except championship competition from the vote.

Bob Seconds Motion

Vote:  Motion passed

  1. Motion to approve and proceed with the Get Smart Group’s IJA Website proposal.
    IJA Website Proposal
    Motion:Noel
    Second:Bob
    Discussion: Call for website. A company came back last month (the company that Erin works for) Included in the proposal was text fonts and design a style and color guide that we would have for future marketing purposes. There are some things that may not be wanted or needed from designers (ejuggle). Ideally we would only have one website. Logo refresh as well. Unamed has been contacted because bid was higher than we thought it would be. Noel- a timeline for the board of progress and tangible progress. Erin- entire project would be 10-12 teams including the meetings. Noel- the board would like to be included in the decisions, and that it is in the contract that at least once there would be contact with the board via the board meetings. Concern- focus is too broad- the scope needs to be more detailed. The sample sites all seem to be custom and not membership like IJA. Concerns with the payment schedule since our site is already live. It includes importing old info into new site. Nathan- Logo redesign we can accept it, but don’t have to use it. Bob- prefers to revisit the discussion.If there is reluctance then it needs to be visited and discussed. does not feel secure making an opinion without further research. This is going to affect us since its a big decision. Noel- If this is going to be successful, it is worth the money to have content migrated and the site updated. If Erin trusts them then we as a board. Bob- more than just the bottom line needs to be considered. Erin- the end goal is to have cohesive marketing through all of IJA media. Bob; Is there a reason not to continue with this course. Jim- would they be able to go to into the platform and use that as an example/ sample pages. Discussion over leaving out style guide and logo redesign. Nathan- content migration great addition… Analytics and custom audience- Ija does not drive enough traffic to have a google search.  Shivella- we will be able to meet with the marketing company before to make sure their ideas are aligned with our vision. Bob- what are the advantages and disadvantages written in from Erin. Jim- a consolidation of pages. For: Erin and Mike to move forward with finalizing a contract. What will be included and excluded for the contract.
    Vote:  Table the motion

 

  1. Varia:
  1. 2016 Honorary Award Committee

Discussion: Final award Committee for the next meeting – Bob

 

  1. IJA Cash Sponsorships for Records- Scott – cash awards for new juggling records- that we are a sanctioning body for those that break juggling records and get sponsors to pay for those records.

 

  1. Set November Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – Nov 2nd _7:30___pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – _Nov 16th_7:30__ pm ET.

 

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Shivella

Discuss: Nathan: appreciation for the respect and civil discourse.

Voting:

Meeting adjourned at __9:47____ pm ET.

Board Meeting September 21st, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:36 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Warren Hammond, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present:Nathan, Louie, Bob, Noel, Shivella, Mike S, Jim M
Absent: Warren, Marvin, Afton, Erin S, Martin F,

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Louie

Second by: Shivella

Discussion:

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Approval of Minutes:

August 24th, 2015

Motion: Shivella

Second:  Louie

Discussion:

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion:

  • Nathan- a few things still being worked out and there are many last minute expenses still waiting to be completed.  Appears to be a substantial loss.  It is one of the most substantial losses we ever have had at a festival.  Troubled with this even after several grants have been coming in all along.    Some of the grants were receiving the grants but were not a part of the festival.
  • Bob- he would like to see a breakdown of this event and wants to see how this can help us understand.
  • Mike- wonders how much money we lost on the exchange rate to canadian dollars.
  • Jim- questions about performer overpayment.  Wants to make sure he understands this to make sure that they don’t repeat in El Paso.
  • Noel- A meeting with the board and vero. In addition, notifying the turbo board about our loss.
  • We will get Vero’s 2015 report and call a meeting and have a review of what happened and the amount of loss or success at the event.  Many agree that separate meeting would be suggested.
  • Plan Nathan will lean on who is getting the final expense items done.  A Separate meeting with vero will be planned and she will come to the next board meeting to discuss the options.  Nathan will ensure that the event budget and report is finalized for the IJA board.

 

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

Discussion:

  • Things are moving along.
  • Unamed was in touch with jim to fund a gauntlet at IJA 2016.  Wants to match the donations to completing this gauntlet. Team has been formed and they are gathering resources to build it.   Estimate for the gauntlet is more expensive than the previous two.  This is mainly because it is being built in austin and transported to el paso.
  • Jim is still working on the overall festival budget.  Has a pretty good idea about how this went in 2009 in winston salem when mike managed and again when matt managed winston salem in 2012.  Is waiting on Quebec numbers.
  • Ewii has allotted 5,000 for marketing and planning for IJA 2016.  Is working with Erin Stephens.  400 to branding for the fest. 3,000 for social media. 900 for print marketing.  700 for other. Would like to get this moving.
    • Nathan feels like Jim can already begin to use the donation money without voting.
  • Contacted a number of artists and getting them booked for the show.  We are just waiting on me.
  • Much of the staff has been approved and are excited for the upcoming year.
    • Jim wants to be in touch with the awards committee along with their process

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:

  • Louie likes that he has a lot of writers coming in.  He even has one person that are drawing juggling comic strips.
  • Noel wonders what the new videos.

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

  • Nathan hopes we are poised to get a bunch new members.  We just finalized our members insurance policy.  And also this can bring about some returning members.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

 

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

 

AMS (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

  • IJA has added all the info for the liability insurance.
  • Discussions with Erin about bringing in an outside marketing and branding company.
  • Quickbook codes added to every item to help reconcile sold items easier.

 

  1. Motions for Consideration

 

  1. Motion to accept the revised 2015 2nd Quarter Profit and Loss Statement.

2nd Quarter Profit and Loss Statement

Motion: Bob

Second: Louie

Discussion:

  • Looks more organized and together than previously but still awaiting our festival report- Louie.

 

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to pay Mike Sullivan’s airfare to El Paso to assist with a festival site visit for up to $360, as to be included as part of the 2016 Festival Budget.

Motion:  Noel
Second: Bob
Discussion:

  • Pre conference visit that is commonly made pre an IJA festival.  Meet with suppliers and solidify all of the details.  Need to get all ready to be set for registration.  El Paso is compensating the airfare for Jim and Steve.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to renew Dennis Morrison’s Bookkeeper Contract for another calendar year.

    Original contract.

    Moton: Louie
    Second: Shivella
    Discussion:

 

  • Martin thinks that the contract should be set from oct 1st and then prorate the amount of money the IJA has not paid him.   Needs to cover 4 months of missing payment.

Vote:

 

Second of amendment: Shivella

 

Amendment of motion

  • the contract will state a prorate of payment from 6/1/15- 9/30/16 for a total of 792 per month.  This would total 12,672 for all services rendered as IJA bookeeper

 

Motion and Ammendment- Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Varia:
  1. IJA Officer Positions

 

Discussion:

Louie is working hard figuring out the job descriptions and is moving closer.

 

  1. Honorary Award Committee Chair

 

Discussion:Bob shared that Alan Howard has volunteered to fill the position, and will select a committee to assist. Committee will consist of 3-4 members. Request for Alan to submit a list of possible committee members in time for Oct. board meeting.

 

  1. Set October Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – ____October 12________7:30_pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – ____October 19th 7:30____________ pm ET.

 

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Shivella

Discuss:

Voting:

Meeting adjourned at __8:52____ pm ET.

Board Meeting August 24th, 2015

 

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:35 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Warren Hammond, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present: Nathan, Louie, Bob, Noel, Shivella, Mike, Afton, Erin, Jim, Martin
Absent: Warren, Marvin, (Martin in at 7:53 )

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Bob

Second by: Shivella

Discussion: Possible change of motion order. Sound Fine. Move motion E to Motion A. Making it happen. Done.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

4. Approval of Minutes:

July 18th, 2015

Motion: Bob

Second: Shivella

Discussion: Point out – These are the Minutes for the quick board meeting just before the festival 2015.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

July 22, 2015 AGM

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion: Point out – From the General Meeting at the Festival 2015. Notes were taken by Dave Pawson and then transcribed by Nathan.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

July 23rd, 2015

Motion: Noel

Second: Shivella

Discussion: Point out – at the festival Motions voted on after general meeting to establish the set-up of the new year/term.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion: Dennis working on finishing up final everything. Attendance Down, some issues contributed to break-even / loss. Some of the contract money was converted wrong. So there will be some fixes to happen. Random things were paid out, don’t know if they were snuck-up on us  or part of the budget. There needs to be a little better system for next time. Contract bombardment the day of payment not a good system – need to get those to Afton earlier. Dennis became overwhelmed with the money and payments and receipts. Possibly over by: $2,066.89 aprox. … conversion difference.

Have Afton contact them for a return of payment. Afton / Martin crossover.

 

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

Discussion: Concerns about El Paso being isolated. By end of week people were enthusiastic. Possible cash payouts. – possibly PayPal? figuring out the best way – paypal or wire the money. No cash payments, because of the prize amount. People can go to the Bank of America branch, possibly.Send out to the finalist a month before the festival about payment types. Paypal, then a check, not cash. Get the championship rules changed online with this info, after there is some figuring out. And have it in the contract clearly. Una Med showing interest in the Gauntlet Creation, get it from Austin to El Paso. Work on a fund matching system for the Gauntlet to garner more donations from the people. Budget being worked on next.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:  Not one this month. Ellen had a table set up and selling Merit Badges. Sold buttons to adults more than children. They sold well, things are working. Integrating more flow into the system. Flow Badges to follow.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion: IRC Mexico and Costa Rica member only videos coming soon as well.
Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: none

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Huge success in Costa Rica and Mexico. Promotion is being refined this year. Huge buzz created interest for the next years. IRC South America in Peru. The Facebook advertising is working well. Prelim madness – there could be hundreds in the prelim. Deadline Sep 15th. Crew is solid and hip. IRC’s are growing and going strong! Erin!

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Woot! On site went well. Videos rocked out many views and shares. Future looks bright.

AMS (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: Moving forward, integration with Mike and Erin working towards design and transition. Front end makeover. Back end is cool.

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve conducting a request for bids from Marketing Companies, Sept. 1 – 15 – to work with website transition and general IJA branding/marketing strategies.

 

Call For Marketing Bids

 

Motion: Bob

 

Second: Shivella

 

Discussion: Outlines what is needed / wanted, deadline is September 15th. Going over our market and brand and look, content transition, copywriting. Using the power of a marketing company funded by Unna Med. Starting Oct 1st – hopefully being done by mid-November. Make sure marketing company makes the site attractive to the International Community. Make it universal. Who is our target market, have it all integrate. Develop content to our markets. And to create a ‘universal’ IJA brand. Make sure we have a plan to do this quickly and at the same time preserve the historical website content. Also bring eJuggle together into the fold. Make sure the company knows that we are using the YM site. Where is this call going out? Newsletter, ejuggle article, facebook, find places where marketing companies post job listings too. Or look for work.

 

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to include the Excellence in Education award as an honorary award for consideration under the discretion of the Awards Committee.

 

Motion: Bob

Second: Louie

Discussion: Moving from Ward and Finnagan – taking it under the IJA umbrella. Need to work out some of the details of the award. Confirm that we have the blessing to take over this award. Extra expense – a different kind of award. Worked it into the same as our classics. This goes well with the YJA becoming more prevalent. Gonna get alot of nominations. Criteria – outlined on our page… looks good. – Need to update the website copy. Jim and Bob to touch base about the people to have on this committee for El Paso and the future.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to accept the 2015 2nd Quarter Profit and Loss Statement.

2nd Quarter Profit and Loss Statement

Motion: Shivella

Second: Bob

Discussion: Breaking out the Pre Payments. Do we put the prepays on this year or the years for were they actually take place? Split and allocate so that we see what each festival year costs us. Package plans break out – take out of festival income other.

Maybe we need a detail statement for all the proper festival income and expenditure. Needs to be massaged into a better page for readability and actual facts presented in a readable way. Book-keeper and Treasurer need to make this comparable Fes to Fes. Need to figure out a plan going forward to make the year to year accounting better. Make a standardized budget template and worksheet / workbook going forward.

 

Vote:

Motion to table this Motion: Bob Second: Louie  Vote: Unanimously Tabled

All send critiques to Afton to create a better document and re-vote next time.

 

  1. Motion to accept the 2015 2nd Quarter Balance Sheet.

2nd Quarter Balance Sheet
Motion: Shivella
Second: Bob
Discussion: Better – more straight forward.
Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Motion to approve IJA Chairman Nathan Wakefield to apply for an IJA Small Business Credit Card through Bank of America with additional card holders Afton Benson (Treasurer) Dennis Morrison (Bookkeeper) and Jim Maxwell (Festival Director 2016).

 

Motion: Louie
Second: Shivella

Discussion:  Card to be used for organization business, will get many reward points if we use this card.  Board members must sign, non profit organization

“Friendly Amendment: Motion to Amend: Adding Jim Maxwell – Nathan Second: Shivella”

More Discussion: Limits need to be discussed with all involved, what is the limit, maybe raise around festival time. Have a non signer that can be allowed into the account for checks and balances. Two people to sign: Bob and Shivella. Bob – will possibly be the extra checker.
Vote: Unanimously Approved

 

  1. Varia:
  1. IJA Stage Championship Prize Money promotion. “IJA’s Juggling World Championships”

 

Discussion: Possible rebranding – get the buzz and interest up? We do have international competitors, possible name changeish – but that is a little too wordy. No real reason to pursue name change.

 

  1. Officer Positions.

 

Discussion: Start asking for letters of interest. Letters to be sent to find out if people want to continue in position. Need to fill some of the description gaps – need some write up – juggle.org/business/jobdescriptions  – Louie will write up the gaps.

 

  1. Set September Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – September 14th 7:30pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – September 21st 7:30 pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Shivella

Discuss: none

Voting: Unanimously  Approved

Meeting adjourned at 9:26 pm ET.