Board Meeting – March 21st, 2016

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:36PM pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present:
Absent: Afton Benson, Erin Stephens

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: shivella

Second by: louie

Discussion:

Vote: Passes unanimously.

4. Approval of Minutes:

February 15th, 2016

Motion: Shivella

Second: Bob

Discussion:

Vote: Passes unamimously.

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: None.

2016 IIJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)-

Discussion: Pres-sale numbers are less than what was budgeted. For brunch the number of meals has to be submitted before event (buffet), up to 10% more will be available and will be charged. Discussion over how to check for entrance. Wrist band seems the most convenient. Jim will ask/confirm the latest time we are able to change/update the number of brunch folks. Polling registrants to see who may anticipate going to brunch.    Questions over if we are under the $25k amount, is the festival still able to keep the balance. If the money should be put in the savings account, or able to be spent on festival. Brunch- no take-out. The Camino Royale ( Hotel that is being considered for brunch) is only a block from the convention center. Mike- we bought a membership management system. The board decided that only members are able to register for the members. The issue of non members could be solved if the board decides/allows for non members to register by putting a higher price on the event registration. Bob- one issue is the process is not convenient ( 2 -step process) and the other issue is giving some incentive for non members to join. Nathan- issue of having non members is folks that are not able, or permitted to become (banned) members now going to the festival will be a loophole to that policy. Jim- because the process is not simple, we are potentially losing membership and festival attendees. Louie-10-12 folks with an issue is still not too much. Get Smart group may be able to streamline the process.

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Erin is doing a great job. Jim- what is the impact of the social media-does it translate to growing membership? Marvin- this is an introduction/ long process to get folks interested in juggling to getting folks to commit to paying to an event. Bob- It’s great to have the videos, we are still having an issue of having folks watching the video. Nathan: it may be worth talking Erin to have it in the newsletter as well.

YJA (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Membership boost, as is expected prior to the festival. There is a boost before the festival early bird opened.

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: 2019 festival leads will start working into over the summer.

  1. Motions for Consideration
    A. Motion to appoint Jared Davis to the vacant Board position.

Motion: Louie
Second:Bob
Discussion: Nathan- Jared has volunteered to fill-in until July.
Vote:  Motion passes

B. Motion: Pending availability through the IJA’s insurance agent, group insurance can be purchased or renewed annually by an IJA Affiliate through the IJA insurance agent at the IJA rate, provided that at the time of purchase and renewal the Affiliate’s membership includes 5 or more current IJA members who have indicated through their IJA logins that they are members of the Affiliate. For purposes of confirming Affiliate eligibility for IJA insurance rates, an IJA member cannot be listed in their IJA login as a member of more than one Affiliate in a given calendar year.

Motion: Bob
Second: Louie
Discussion: Jim-requests from affiliates for club insurance. Clubs are having difficulty finding meeting space insurance. Affiliate clubs need an affordable option for weekly meeting spaces. A club policy is able to be had by clubs. Certificate of insurance also included. 5 IJA members for the policy to have the affiliate insurance. The affiliate program needs to be revisited, but this insurance is to fill the need/request for those clubs to have/purchase insurance.

Vote: Motion passes

 

  1. Varia:
  1. Lucas Cup Repair – a vendor needs to be found to repair, help rebuild. Jim and Shivella will look for vendor assistance. Bob- suggestion to just get a new Lucas cup.
  2. Mike Sullivan would like to inform the Board that this will be my last year as Festival Registrar and on-site operations manager. I would urge the Board to find interested Members who would like to take on the roles for future fests and ask them to get with me to start their training on-site at this year’s festival in El Paso.
  1. Set April Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – April __4___ 7:30 pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – April _25____ 7:30 pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: shivella

Discuss:

Voting:  Unanimously approved.

Meeting adjourned at __9:17____ pm ET.

Board Meeting – February 15th, 2016

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:34 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present: Nathan, Louie, Bob, Noel, Shivella, Afton, Erin, Martin, Jim
Absent: Marvin, Mike

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Bob

Second by: Noel

Discussion: Nil

Vote: Approved Unanimously

  1.  Approval of Minutes:

January 18th, 2016

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion: Nil

Vote:  Approved Unanimously

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Festival Numbers are Done. Around $11,000 in the hole. Two transactions counted twice. Ended the year in the black by about $77. Yearly sign ups happening. How to communicate earmarked money from donors. Have money for carry-over into next year – make sure left-over money goes into budget for the IRC (the left-over IRC money). When reporting money – be very specific on what it is for – so records are kept well and money gets carried over properly. Cash Flow / Savings / Were the money is put from donors – how do we track and account for that. Some of this money goes into separate places – how do we look at that and account for those incomes / savings / Trust Money, is this counted as income and could throw the books off? 25,000 from last year and 25,000 from this year – going to festival for brunch and prizes. 25,000 goes to the trust. Older budgets were online in the past, could these help with the current year budget and tracking.

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

Discussion: Early bird registration should start March 1st. Going to talk to Mike about prices and packages pricing. Contacted a lot of the performers, giving most performers a festival package and a few nights of hotel for compensation. Other volunteers – offer them a discounted rate of $99 for the festival package. 37 full packages to heavily working volunteers. 15 or so other positions to get the $99 rate. Get Mikes’ input too on these packages and sales and giveaways. Don’t water down the volunteer / comp parity, bring it back to the boards control – bring it back to 2014 (40 comps). Early bird is $199 – partial comp is $99 – also the price of youth group. Possibly a higher price of $120 (cost of the shows, make it $119)

Grant? Owsley  – interested, Kansas City.

ENewsletter to get up on the web – get the event packages and info up there. Next deadline – this friday. (19th normally) 23rd to get info – no later than. Only one special workshop confirmed. $80 workshop. Picasso Jr. Cant make it. Possible video acceptance of award – Jr. and Sr.

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Things going well – Instagram really shot up 15,000ish new followers. Facebook is starting and we have a $5000 budget for marketing. 1700 likes on the latest push. Getting IRC advertising going. Getting a marketing budget together – figuring out a budget to get into the black. Follow ups and feedback to follow. Dont use the ‘padding’ – leave it for emergencies. Is there a way if we can track marketing / membership and see where we get new members from? How did you hear about us? How did you join?

Add onto the membership sign up – add – “How did you find out about the IJA” “Why did you become a member”

Start to push and use the Amazon Smile program.

Give to the max day? In Delaware? (check out Minnesota version) Donation Campaign – takes alot of work and time. Facebook may be a good helper in this.

Young people may not realize its a non-profit and a tax write-off.

YJA (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: Good things are happening.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion: Looks good.

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Numbers going down. 🙁

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: 4 events and a 5th possible in 2017. Budget to be adjusted for 2016.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: Nothing new to report. April trade show action.

  1. Motions for Consideration

    A. Motion to accept the Final 2015 Festival P & L.
    2015 Festival P & L

Motion: Bob
Second: Shivella
Discussion:Little / None
Vote:  Approved Unanimously

  1.  B. Motion to accept the P&L for 2015 ending December 31, 2015.

P&L for 2015 ending December 31, 2015

Motion: Noel
Second: Bob
Discussion:No IRC in there, WJD is at $5000 should be about $750 – what is that discrepancy?  Shipping of archives? why? price? aren’t they in Vegas? Ask Dennis – where is the $120 in archives $ from – gotta ask Dennis. Also ask about WJD.

Address a few issues with accountant.
Vote: Oppose: Louie, Bob, Nathan, Shivella, Noel

Motion Fails:  Unanimously Opposed

Motion not created for this: (need to adjust from the above first, before we move on this)

Balance Sheet for December 31, 2015

  1. Varia:
  1. Liability Insurance Outside Marketing Campaign

Dale Widdick? Affiliate policy – club insured.  Explore the affiliate policy – Insurance to use a space – offer a policy to those affiliates – weekly meetings – they can use the IJA insurance to get a place to rent and have a meeting. Rendering assistance to juggling clubs around the country. Put some life back in the affiliates program. Ill defined – but we do have a group of affiliates in a data base – some could use and benefit from the insurance for festivals and meeting spaces.

  1. Set March Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – March 7th 7:30 pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – March 21st 7:30 pm ET

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Shivella

Discuss: Nil

Voting:  Approved Unanimously

Meeting adjourned at 8:54 pm ET.
Juggle, do good things, enjoy stuff.

Board Meeting – January 18th, 2016

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: _7:35_____ pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab,, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell
Absent: Mike Sullivan

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Bob

Second by: Louie

Discussion:

Vote:

 

  1. Approval of Minutes:

December 21st, 2015

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion:

Vote:

 

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Afton- $4,260 – is unaccounted for. Loss of 19.901 loss for the festival. Louie- we should put the addition of the $4k into the loss. Bob- Agrees to add the $4k on so that the loss is decreased. Noel-close the book on the extra money. Afton- total loss for 2015 $15,641. Afton- next meeting sign off on the year end festival P&L after communicating with Dennis the discussion from tonight. Discussion on communicating and sending in information to Dennis. Erin – making sure that she is sending in marketing receipts correctly and reimbursement. Erin- wanted to make sure no further

Treasurer Report

P&L for 2015 Festival (Quebec)

 

Final 2015 Festival Report

Discussion: – Noel- make sure that in the future we have more direct supervision if/when working with an outside group.ttle more caution when working with international vendors for festivals.

 

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

 

Note from fest registrar Mike Sullivan: YourMembership has just rolled out a greatly improved and simplified event registration system which we will be able to use for this year’s regs.Looking to make the cost under $25K especially since the centers make their money from food vending, and using the donor money responsibly and great for the festival participants.

Registration- March 1-14th early Reg.

Vendors- Is there a vendor policy/pricing per year/tables/structure. Clarification needed on the IJA vendor program. More organization needed on Docs for year to year.

 

Discussion: Social Media promo has launched. Stickers are being printed to send to Mondo, Groundhog and Austin. In negotiation with many talented artists, confirmations coming in.  Keeping a few spots open for the Shows, for acts that don’t qualify for the championships.  Website pages are well underway with design work, thanks to Steve.  Brunch – Jim is getting quotes.  $18 – $30 per head depending on how many people will be in attendance.  Working with hotels and convention centers, and thus it won’t be cheap.

Vendors – price and process? Erin will look for 2014.  Jim will contact Mike.

Inventory -There are a lot of things in the Festival Bins that seem unneeded to ship every year from fest director to fest direct. Games from Quebec, are in disarray. Jim will get volunteers in Austin to inventory and try to put the games back together. Items are not being shipped with care. Bob- Have Jim inventory the items and get back to the board to see what needs to be kept and what needs to be discarded.

Festival team has entered into a contract for head communication devices for the organizing team during the convention.

Crates will not be going to Austin after El Paso. 2 large black crates. Games as well.

Nathan- Lucas Cup will be restored and will need to be shipped so logistics need to be worked out. Registration questions- will all workshops and other expenses be ready and in place by March. Are we ready to announce our special guests.

Jim and Erin have confirmed several guests and plan to have guests announced in the newsletter, several at time instead of a full list. Most information needs to be in before the last Friday of the month. There are only 2 newsletters left before registration opens. Jim- will have something to Newsletter this week.

Jim- Erin did a great job of additional donation for cascade of stars. Una Med $1300 … $11,300 for Cascade of stars.

 

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Erin- Social media marketing- FB Event Pages- has an invite limit of 500. Instagram posts are also moving up. The videos are going viral. Team IJA international has been started Peru, Mexico, Columbia, representatives. 2 new video series for FB and youtube. Promotion for IRC also starting. Noel- great that we are having so many S. American participation.

Latin American Convention- Has asked IJA to sponsor monthly regional gatherings and their convention. Sponsorship would be utilization of our logo and some promotion of their events.

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:Nathan- No report received.  Website is in progress.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Louie – getting over the 1k mark would be great. Question on how we should move those numbers up.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Starting to book appointments for the National Association of Sports Commissions (NASC) Symposium in Grand Rapids, MI in April, where I will meet with up to 40 potential host cities for our 2019 festival. Any feedback or recommendations on our festival week format or regions/cities/venues to consider, please let me know.

Discussion:

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the Award Committee’s 2016 Honorary Award Selections.

Motion:  Shivella
Second: Louie
Discussion: Jim will reach out to Picaso JR. and Nathan will speak with the committee on reaching out to other award selection folks. Nathan – question over festival comp entry or fees paid. Jim- recommends a policy for budgeting and selection and funding for these other expenses. Bob- having Jim announce to Picaso and ask for a performance at the same time.
Vote: Motion Pass

  1. Motion to change the following in the Stage Championship Rules:
    “The Championships Director does not participate in the judging of any competitor’s preliminary or final performance and should not communicate with or influence the judges’ scoring of any routine.”

to

“The Championships Director does not participate in the judging of any competitor’s preliminary or final performance and should not influence the judges’ scoring.”

http://dev.juggle.org/ija/championships/stage-championship-rules-2016/
Motion:Noel
Second:Louie
Discussion: Nathan= the current wording implies that the director cannot communicate with the judges. The revision would allow judge to communicate, but not influence judging.
Vote: Motion passes

 

  1. Motion to approve the change of this year’s Officer Position of Mexico Representative from Juan Rosas Mendez to Jorge Vilchis.

Motion:Bob
Second: Noel
Discussion: Noel- Jorge is an amazing juggler.  Erin- Jorge has been organizing videos and IRC. Juan is also in favor of the change of officer position.
Vote: motion passes

  1. Motion to add the following positions to this year’s IJA Officers:
    Peru Representative: Gino Crovetto Pellegrin
    Colombia Representative: Santi Durango
    Central American Representative: Geovanni Zamora Granados

    Motion:Louie
    Second: Bob
    Discussion:Erin- These representatives are excited. Hoping to get the juggle.org email for the representatives.  Noel- what are representatives receiving? Erin= Extreme gratitude and only getting payment if they are doing ejuggle specials.
    Vote: motion passes

  2. Motion to accept the 2015 Festival P & L Statement

Motion: No motion

Second:

Discussion:

Vote:

 

  1. Varia:
  1. Vacant Board Position- Nathan- Warren has resigned. Options are to amend the bylaws or appoint another member. Jared Davis has offered to help out.  Also, vacancy could also be left open. Louie- if we have enough people to vote, we should wait until we have the call for all board members. Martin=If we have someone on the board, then we have an extra person to bounce ideas off of. Noel= getting another person is a good call, even as a future potential board member. If not Jared, then a strong potential.  Mention in the newsletter that there is a vacancy. Nathan- we will put in the newsletter and see if there is interest. Warren mentioned that he was interested in putting a letter in the newsletter on his leaving the board.
  2. 2017 Festival Director Update- Nathan- Cheryl Sayers update- She is interested in Cedar Rapids but has concerns of organizational issues. Greg Owsley from Kansas city festival and she would be interested in co-directing or having Greg do it completely. Jim and Bob have both been to a festival of his and offer their endorsement. Jim has offered to reach out to Greg.
  3. Board and Chair nominations- Nathan- reminder that nominations open up soon. At present Nathan is not planning on running for board. Noel- the next board Chair needs to be prepped soon. Executive director position- in the last vision planning –
  1. Set February Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – Feb. 1st 7:30 pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – Feb. 15th 7:30 pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Noel

Discuss:

Voting:

Meeting adjourned at _9:18_____ pm ET.