Board Meeting – November 18th, 2014

Business Board Meeting November 18th, 2014

Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 6:35pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Mike Sullivan, Noel Yee, Louie Skaradek, Jared Davis, Warren Hammond, Kyle Johnson, Lucho Fernandez

Absent: Erin, Martin, Veronique

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Louie

Second by: Jared

Discussion:

Vote: motion passes unanimously

  1. Approval of Minutes:

October 21st, 2014

Motion:  Lucho

Second: Louie

Discussion:

Vote: Motion Passes Unanimously

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

2015 IJA Festival Report and Position Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:  Figuring out registration needs some attention – Louie, we have a new system coming in and we can share the workload amongst many people.  Mike willing to get set up and launch for this event, but cannot run the registrar- Mike.   The registrar will need internet access and a computer, will need to have some level of experience with the festival.  Noel volunteers to help open the registration system but needs help and experience with how to run it.   Can we run mock registration- sometime in feb, ran 30-40 tests for perdue. – mike.    Would it be prudent to have a back up system in place.  Vero does not have a preference for when the system can be put into place, preferably after Turbo in Jan- Mike.

What tiered system do we want to have? – Nathan.  We give away too much money on registration, two week early registration, then normal and then onsite registration- Mike

Why do we need to make a profit on the IJA festival?  – Warren.  Suggestion: is to find out how money is allocated.

NEXT STEPS for Registration Process- Mike gets a test site up.  Noel Vero and gets exact planning and details for registration in her mind.  Mike and Noel meet for an hour prior to christmas.

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:  Mike is pursuing options for 2017.  Good leads from springfield, MA.  Vancouver, BC.  Noel will put Mike in touch with Circus west and Ally Oop.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion: Kyle is posting daily on facebook.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:  Recently obtained videos by nathan biggs penton, wes peden and others.   Nathan is still working on the bonus parts of the video.

Different amounts of views have changed on the facebook page.   Frequent video content seems to bring positive viewership to the site.   Future of ejuggle, will it be rolled into a new site or separate?  – Louie.  Been discussed and alot of people believe that there should be more connection between both sites.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve Afton Benson as IJA Treasurer for the remainder of the 2014-2015 term.
    Letter of Interest

Motion: Louie

Second: Warren

Discussion:  Nathan will inform denis and afton to coordinate and delegate duties.

Vote: motion passes unanimously

  1. Motion to approve Louie Skaradek as IJA Graphic Designer for the remainder of the 2014-2015 term.
    Letter of Interest

Motion: Warren

Second: Noel

Discussion:  thinks he does a great job- Nathan.   For mainly programs and brochures.

Vote: motion passes unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve and enact the revised IJA Music Policy, effective upon approval starting with the 2015 festival stage competitions.

Music Policy Document

Motion: Kyle

Second: Louie

Discussion:  Acts for Cascade, Welcome and other shows do not have to have licensed music.

Vote:  motion passes unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve and enact the revised IJA Scoring System, effective upon approval starting with the 2015 festival stage competitions.

Scoring System Rules

Motion: Kyle

Second: Lucho

Discussion:

Warren confused with rephrased wording.  “best be described….”  Are we talking about these other things or is the latter the case.  “The What is juggling” Category.  Will they also be disqualified for different reason.    Warren likes the revamped scoring.  It will better reflect the audience.  Warren is sad to see stage presence go.

What is juggling is the biggest question?  The stage competition also defines what juggling is.

Vote:  opposed: Kyle, Warren, Louie, Noel, Jared, Lucho, Nathan

Motion not passed

Next Step: Warren will speak to Vivica about issues with the motion.

 

  1.  Motion to designate Jek Kelly, Alan Howard, Steve Rahn, and Bob Neuman as the 2015 Awards Committee with Jek Kelly serving as the Chair.

Motion: Warren

Second: Kyle

Discussion: Yah!  Great people. Vero reached out to them already and they are on board for 2015.

Vote:  motion passed unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve the following annual financial statements: Balance Sheet as of 6/30/14 (2nd Qtr.), YTD Profit & Loss as of 6/30/14, 2nd Qtr. Profit & Loss (4/14-6/14), Balance Sheet as of 3/31/14 (1st Qtr.), 1st Qtr. Profit & loss  (1/14-3/14).

 

Motion: Kyle

Second:  Louie

Discussion:  How do we get an idea to see what we are working with from year to year where do i look?  – Warren.

Vote: motion passes unanimously

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Logo Update

Discussion: Louie will update some new colors and things for the new logo.   Nathan will check with American Youth Circus about design options.

 

  1. Executive Director

Discussion: Made a rough outline interms of finding an executive directior.  Needs to create a search committee.  This is composed of board members, members and officers from within the organization.   Officers are the most important… they are the ones that are working most closely with the new ED.  Other option is to hire a search firm to find the ED.   Make contact with Lloyd, Thom and others to find this person.

Warren is forming a committee to help obtain the ED.

  1. Board Communication/Attendance

Discussion:
New Facebook group created for the group to exist.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/370194499823928/

 

  1. Set December Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting- December 9th 6:30 ET  

Next Board meeting December 23rd at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Warren

Discuss:

Voting: Motion passes

Meeting adjourned at 8:42  pm ET.

Board Meeting – October 21st, 2014

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 637 pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Mike Sullivan, Noel Yee, Erin Stephens, Louie Skaradek, Jared Davis

Absent: Martin Frost, Warren Hammond, Kyle Johnson, Veronique Provencher, Lucho Fernandez,

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Louie

Second by: Noel

Discussion: None

Vote: Agenda approved

  1. Approval of Minutes:

September 23, 2014

Motion: Louie

Second: Jared

Discussion: None

Vote: Minutes approved

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for future festival discussion)

Post 2014 IJA Festival Financials and Festival Report

Discussion: Authored by Cody Fiereck.  Mike mentioned how we haven’t received anything from the bookkeeper.  Nathan mentioned he will communicate with the bookkeeper.

 

2015 IJA Festival Report and Festival Organizer Positions (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:  Special guest Tony Frebourg is confirmed (one of the best diaboloists in the world).  There is concern about doing preregistration and registration for the festival because we need the director and organizers of the festival to do that.

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: No report and not much comments

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:  Nathan said that he thinks we’re poised to start planning for the “2015 tricks of the month” videos and how best to go about it.  Erin says that Jorge will be the main collaborater and that they plan to have two videos per month.  Noel feels some of the processes involved with the tricks of the month videos are not straightforward.  Noel mentioned he hadn’t heard from Kyle, and he’s hoping to get Kyle more involved.

Kyle has been keeping up the facebook page.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:  Erin’s been talking to the guys from South America and Central America.  Peru is a possibility.  Costa Rica is also a possibility and would be held on WJD.  We still have a donor for these events which is great.  The donor wants to continue to try to bring the IRC champions to the IJA.  It was suggested to try to fundraise in order to bring the IRC winners to the IJA.

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:  The numbers can be viewed by clicking the link.

Financial Report

Discussion:  We need a treasurer, and we’re going to advertise on the newsletter.  There was discussion about the bookkeeper helping out with this.  Erin expressed concern that we don’t have much communication with Scott Krause and he is the only person with access to the debit card and our bank account.  Nathan said that he will be in contact with Scott.

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:  Mike said that he and Marilyn will go through training on November 3rd.

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve Erin Stephens as as the 2015 World Juggling Day Coordinator. Letter of Interest.

Motion: Noel

Second: Jared

Discussion: Noel, “Are you making a new tshirt?”  Erin, “Yes, and I also already have a video editor.”  This vote does not approve the budget.

Vote:  Motion passes unanimously.

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Rebranding strategy and opposition.

Discussion:  There was lots of discussion about the history of the logo, the letter regarding the logo, as well as ways to update the logo.  A few people have suggested keeping the old IJA logo in addition to the new logo.  Nathan said that Don Lewis wrote something to explain the motivation for a new logo.  Martin asked what we want to say about the logo.  Nathan wants to clarify that we don’t want to change the organization, but to modernize our history.  We want to clarify that this has been discussed for years, by many board members.  The possibility of voting on a logo via facebook or other means was discussed as well.  Erin mentioned that we chose the name eJuggle by voting on it.  Martin suggested Nathan and Erin writing something about the new logo together.  We also want to clarify that we want lots of people involved in this decision.

  1. Proposed new stage rules.

Discussion:  Nathan is going to post this on boardplus for further discussion

 

  1. Set November Meetings

Next planning meeting November 4th and next Board meeting November 18th- both at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn:     Jared

Discuss: None

Voting: Approved

Meeting adjourned at 8:16 pm ET.

Board Meeting – September 23, 2014

Business Board Meeting September 23, 2014

6:30pm Eastern Time

Call In Information:

Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002

Participant Conference Code: 189209#

 

Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: _6:39_____pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield (chair), Mike Sullivan (future fest coordinator), Martin Frost, Warren Hammond, Noel Yee, Kyle Johnson,Véronique Provencher (late arrival)

Absent: Erin Stephens, Scott Krause, Louie Skaradek, Lucho Fernandez, Jared Davis

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Kyle

Second by: Warren

Discussion: Nope

Vote:Unanimous approved

  1. Approval of Minutes:

June 22, 2014

Motion: Noel

Second: Warren

Discussion: none

Vote: Unanimous approved

July 30th, 2014

Motion: Kyle

Second: Warren

Discussion: none

Vote: Unanimous Approved

August 26th, 2014

Motion: Kyle

Second: Warren

Discussion: nope

Vote: Unanimous Approved

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for future festival discussion)

Post 2014 IJA Festival Report

Discussion: Cody could not make the meeting

 

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:

-Maybe Water on Mars jugglers have been too frequent at the IJA recently.

-IJA 2015 Performers

-Vero wants to improve communication at 2015 IJA, walkies talkies of some kind.

-suggested Bronkar, Piriokapi

-vero wants to use many local artists for show

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

Mike:

IJA new member of sporting organization

161 people interested in bringing IJA to their city.

(2018 IJA?)Western Canadian City, Winsport, Calgary, Alberta, Canada former Olympic site

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:None

 

Marketing (Erin Stephens/Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:Kyles Back!

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:none

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:None

Financial Report (Scott Krause)

Discussion: None

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:none

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the following people for the following Officer Positions for the 2014-2015 term:

 
Nathan Wakefield – Video Coordinator
Martin Frost – Communications Director
Scott Seltzer – eJuggle Editor in Chief
Thom Wall – Video Tutorial Director
Don Lewis – eNewsletter Editor
Greg Phillips – Roster Wranger
Mike Sullivan – Future Festivals Site Coordinator
Marilyn Sullivan – Membership Director & Chief Teller
Rinus Samyn – European Representative
David Landowne – Webmaster
Heather Marriott – Store Manager
Mike Moore – Canadian Representative
Juan Mendez Rosas – Mexican Representative
Warren Hammond – Volunteer Coordinator
Alan Howard – Archives Director
Erin Stephens – IRC Director
Kyle Johnson – Marketing Director
Jim Maxwell – Affiliates Director
Rob Detweiler – Merchandise Distributor

Motion:Kyle

Second:Noel

Discussion: not much

Vote: Unanimously approved

  1. Motion to search for graphic designers on freelance broker sites with a compensation listing up to $1,000.

    Motion:Kyle

Second: warren

Discussion:  go with louie? Kyle will contact his friend about this.

Vote: Unanimously Approved!

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Unfilled Officer Positions: Graphic Designer, World Juggling Day Coordinator, Treasurer.

Discussion: Treasurer is most important to find at the moment. Maybe transfer some duties over to Bookkeeper.

  1. Outstanding debt to graphic designer payment. How to avoid going forward.
  2. Set October Meetings

 

Next planning meeting _7th Oct____ and next Board meeting __21st Oct____ – both at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Kyle

Discuss: NO

Voting: Approved

Meeting adjourned at __8:03_____pm ET.

Board Meeting – August 26, 2014

Business Board Meeting August 26, 2014

6:30pm Eastern Time

Call In Information:

Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002

Participant Conference Code: 189209#

 

Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 6:35pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield (chair), Mike Sullivan (future fest coordinator), Martin Frost, Jared Davis, Louie Skaradek, Lucho Fernandez, Warren Hammond, Erin Stephens

Absent: Noel Yee, Kyle Johnson

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Warren

Second by: Lucho

Discussion: Deleted

Vote: Motion Passes

  1. Approval of Minutes:

August 1st

Motion: Warren

Second: Jared

Discussion:Membership meeting notes from June and Membership meeting need to be voted on next month.

Vote: Motion Passes

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for future festival discussion)

Post 2014 IJA Festival Report (Cody Fiereck)

Discussion: Finances are looking good for the festival. We need to establish where the $5,000 will come out of – general budget or festival budget.  Because it was written in the Festival Budget and not included in the General Budget – moving forward with that plan for this year makes sense.  Nathan will check with Dennis about which seems best for the future.

 

2015 IJA Festival (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion: Things are going well.  Pre-promotion of the festival was a huge success.  Contracts and payments are being finalized.

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: El Paso is extremely excited about having our festival.  Contracts are ready to be signed.  They have seen the Quebec video, and have committed to creating one of these as well for their venue.

10 good prospects for 2017 festival – 5 of which Mike thinks he’ll be excited about.
Interest and decision to enroll as a member of the IJA in the National Association of Sports Commissions – sportscommissions.org. Connection with a lot of potential venues.  Great information for how to proceed with bookings and making connections.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: Merit badges have been a success.  Handed out a bunch at the festival.

 

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: The FB page is rocking! Better promotion of eJuggle content is happening than prior to the fest.  Good international coverage.  Reached 16,000 likes this month. Would like to shift to someone else doing primary FB/marketing.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Unna Med is going to fund the travel expenses of the IJA Rep to organize the South American, Central American, and Mexican IRCs.  We have organizers in Peru, Costa Rica, and Mexico planning to organize events that will be hosting the IRCs.

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

Financial Report (Scott Krause)

Discussion: Festival P&L – Nathan will check in with Dennis

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: We need a small team of AMS developers who will be willing to work on the AMS over the next year to get it well established. The team will be responsible for shifting data, getting all information transferred, figuring out what to focus on first, etc.
Mike thinks the public facing website will be ready to go live by the end of the year.
There will also need to be a branding team. [Mike taking notes now, Erin leaving the call.] Mike suggests hiring someone – doing a call for designers to submit applications for a commission from the IJA to create a new visual identity for IJA: logo, color schemes, typography, etc. Mike will write a blurb for the August eNews making a call for designers.

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the 2016 El Paso Convention and Performing Arts Center Contract

Motion: Louie made the motion,

Second: Warren 2nd.

Discussion: Mike urges board to sign; clean contract, very professionally done, gives us all we need, everything is specific and detailed. Video/photo rights assigned to IJA via addendum we negotiated.

Vote: Passed unanimously. Nathan will sign and direct bookkeeper to send deposit check.

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Executive Director Discussion

Discussed various ideas around finding and compensating a person for this. Ideas ranged from flat hourly rate with a cap, to a flat fee per year for a specified set of required services. Warren interested in working on this effort, is passionate about it, willing to head up this effort. Louie asked what this person’s brief would be; Nathan replies that this person would execute Board decisions, provide continuity, off-loading a lot of routine and administrative work from the Board. Possibly a multi-year term. This person may also be able to generate grants and other income for the Association. First step in moving from a “working board” to an “executive board,” where now the board both decides on issues and does all the work; to where the Board takes decisions and then directs the ED to execute them. IJA has many programs running now, getting unmanageable for a “working board.” Warren suggests we look for someone outside the org, a non-juggler. Risk is having an IJA person, a juggler, if something goes wrong, we risk losing them and all their juggling friends, lots of bad blood. Person should NOT be on the Board for many reasons. Warran will work on a project statement, goals, etc.

  1. Website/Rebranding Discussion

Already discussed in AMS section. Perfect time to overhaul IJA’s image. Get a new logo; bylaws stipulate what the logo is, would need to be changed by vote of the Board. Various ideas discussed about how to reinvent the IJA logo; all-new, stylized acronym or the word “juggle” – or pay homage to the old logo and our history – or build off our old shape. Actions: Louie will run with this in the next week.

  1. 2015 Fun Fund Donation

Warren is passionate about this. New anonymous donor, “UNNAMED,” wants to support this. Vero at Turbo is interested in setting up a Fun Fund for 2015, possibly with a donor match program. We want to do this, promote and implement a fun fund. Looks like we will have donor support for Fun Fund for 2015. Warren also has spoken to a donor willing to support this, is very involved in the IJA, but not sure of his/her name. Donor wants to support Lounge and Gauntlet. Would step aside if another donor wanted to do this. So potentially we have at least one and possibly two donors willing to support FF for 2015. Vero said that no FF $ should be spent on food, agreed by all at IJA. WH will touch base with this donor person, feel them out, find out their interest in what they want to fund.

  1. IJA Officer Positions Letters of Interest

Positions serve 1-year terms at the pleasure of the Board; people respond to call for positions, expressing interest. If interest, person sends Board letter of their interest. Board approves staff/volunteers for each positions. Scott Krause will not be returning as Treasurer. What to do if no one steps forward for Treasurer.

  1. Music Policy Revision

Nathan has spoken with many Board members already; we have an ASCAP license which covers use of copyright music at our live events, but not licensed for recordings, YouTube videos, DVDs, etc. Makes editing of fest videos much more difficult. Board approved a motion to create a new music policy; new policy would require all performers to use music that IJA has the rights to use for the medium (video); this would be either royalty-free music, or original music the artist already owns the copyright for. Nathan will run his draft policy by Lloyd T. and Thom W., experts on this topic, for review and ideas. Goal is to have new policy ready to approve next month, and to implement for 2015 festival purposes.

 

  1. Set September Meetings

Next planning meeting 9/9 and next Board meeting 9/23 – both at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Warren

Discuss: None

Voting: Approved without dissent.

Meeting adjourned at 8:34pm ET.

Board Meeting – August 1st, 2014

Business Board Meeting August 1st, 2014
5:30pm Eastern Time
At the Festival

 

  1. Call to Order

Meeting is called to order at: 5:52 EST.

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Martin Frost, Noel Yee, Louie Skaradek, Lucho Fernandez, Warren Hammond

Absent: Kyle Johnson, Jared Davis

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Noel

Second by: Warren

Discussion: Nathan, Noel, Warren, and Martin are meeting live at the IJA festival. Louie and Lucho are joining the meeting virtually.

Vote: Passes unanimously

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve Nathan Wakefield as new IJA Chairman
    Motion: Noel
    Second: Louie
    Discussion:
    Vote: Motion passes unanimously.B. Motion for a proterm extension on IJA Officer positions.
    Motion: Louie
    Second: Lucho
    Discussion: Treasurer does not have to be a current board member, but it is good if they are.
    Vote: Motion passes unanimously.
  3. Adjournment

Motion: Noel
Second: Louie

IJA Annual General Meeting Minutes – July 30th, 2014

2014 IJA Annual General Meeting Minutes

Wednesday July 30th 2014

Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN

Meeting called to order in the main gym at 3:06 EDT by Erin

Stephens, Board Chairman

Motion to move meeting into the Feature Gym : Martin Frost

Motion seconded : Nathan Wakefield

Meeting moved and continued in the Feature Gym

Current Board Members present : Erin Stephens, Lloyd Timberlake,

Noel Yee, Nathan Wakefield

Current Board Members absent : Scott Krause, Kyle Johnson, Jared

Davis

Parliamentarian present : Ed Fraser

Agenda approved with the addition of the introduction of the

candidates running for the Board of Directors

Reports:

2014 IJA Festival Report : Cody Fiereck

Cody thanked all those who help him with getting things ready

for this festival. We had 276 pre-registered for the festival bringing in about

$39,500. So far by meeting time there has been about an additional

$11,500 brought in on site with more to come. We expect there to be about

$60,000 total in festival expenses. The Welcome Show had about 400

attendees, larger than normal number likely due to professionally produced

ads (25 showings). Problems putting together the festival include the

frequent changing over of the Purdue staff assigned to working with Cody

and the IJA and the change in policy of not letting kids stay in the dorms.

Marketing : Erin Stephens

The IJA continues to have more exposure on social media

platforms such as YouTube and Facebook.

IRC : Erin Stephens

The IJA held its third competition in Mexico. There are plans for

additional competitions in Central and South America. There is interest

from other countries such as Australia, Japan and Israel. This year we had

our first IRC winner from Mexico attend the IJA Festival. The IJA had a

presence at the EJA for the first time in many years.

eJuggle : Nathan Wakefield

Since 2012 we’ve had 435 postings to our eJuggle online

magazine. Among these postings are articles, challenges, podcasts and

videos. In addition to public videos, our-members only content includes

videos from Jay Gilligan, Tony Pezzo, Wes Peden and most recently the

Alan Jacobs club swinging video.

Youth Juggling Academy : Erin Stephens

Ellen Winters has devised a system of achievement badges for

young jugglers. Artwork for the badges were created by Louie Skaradek.

World Juggling Day : Erin Stephens

We had the most number of events in the most number of

countries ever.

Video Tutorial Contests : Thom Wall

So far, we have had 260+ instructional videos produced from

this contest. Thom plans to coordinate another month-long submission

contest in September.

Future Festivals : Mike Sullivan

Our plans are to go to Quebec City in 2015. By the

end of August we expect to have an agreement to go to El Paso, TX in

2016. A couple of 2017 prospects are Athens, GA and Dubuque, IA. Mike

Sullivan plans to attend a reverse trade show to search out more

prospects.

AMS Website : Mike Sullivan

The IJA is moving forward with a conversion to an AMS

(Associated Management System). We are now fully funded for three

years, thanks to a new anonymous donor.

Affiliates Program : Lloyd Timberlake

Jim Maxwell has been going over old data and checking for all

the active affiliate clubs. The IJA is considering exploring ways to help

affiliates with insurance and 503(c) status.

Membership : Nathan Wakefield

The past few years has shown a steady drop in membership

and maybe we should consider that our membership model is changing.

Our hopes to increase membership in Latin American countries have been

stymied by their inability to use PayPal, which is the only online method we

currently have for payment.

Bookkeeper : Lloyd Timberlake

The IJA is getting a new bookkeeper. After a candidate search,

Dennis Marson (sp?), a vastly experience bookkeeper was selected.

iiWii : Erin Stephens

Starting this year, all of the money coming from our anonymous

donor iiWii will be going into savings.

Candidates for the Board :

Warren Hammond and Nathan Wakefield were able to

introduce themselves to the meeting attendees. Erin gave a brief bio for

Louie Skaradek and Lucho Fernandez who were unable to attend the

festival.

IJA 2015 Festival : Noel Yee

Noel was able to do a site visit of the 2015 IJA Festival while

attending Turbofest this year. The festival will be held at the Quebec City

Circus School in conjunction with a local community college.

Executive Director : Lloyd Timberlake

The BOD have been discussing the possibility of hiring a part-
time Executive Director for the purposes of administration and grant writing.

Open Discussion :

One member reminded the board about the continuation of

organizing and digitizing the IJA Archives.

Meeting adjourned 4:55 EDT

Recording Secretary : Steve Rahn

Board Meeting – June 22, 2014

Business Board Meeting June 22, 2014
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#
Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at   534 PM  PST.

  1. Roll

Present: Erin Stephens (chair), Lloyd Timberlake, Nathan Wakefield, Scott Krause, Mike Sullivan (future fest coordinator), Martin Frost, Jared Davis, Noel Yee (late?), Cody Fiereck (2014 festival director).

Absent: Kyle Johnson

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Lloyd

Second by: Scott

Discussion:  Since the months were wrong, we will vote for both of them at the next meeting.

Vote:

  1. Approval of Minutes:
  2. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for future festival discussion)

 

2014 IJA Festival (Cody Fiereck)
Discussion:

Cody guesstimates the max of labor will be $15,000.  In other words that is approximately 65 registrations to cover that cost.  Insurance document sent from Mike to Scott??  Erin says to make sure to get fire insurance to if necessary.  If Scott can’t find it…Scott says he will solve this issue in the next 24 hours.

2015 IJA Festival (Veronique Provencer)
Discussion:  We will have two representatives for the IJA festival next year at the festival this year.  There will be a party promoting the Quebec festival.  There will be stickers printed to promote the festival at the IJA as well as at the EJC to promote the festival over there.  Erin says she will send four payments soon for Quebec.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)
Discussion:  Mike has nothing to report except that we’re still waiting on a contract chat with El Paso.  Mike expects that we will have a contract to sign by the end of the month.  The hotel agreement does not include a room block.

Marketing (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:  Facebook exploded this last week as it increased about 2200 likes.  Erin is excited to see how this new potential board member, who works in marketing, will be able to help promote the IJA.

IRC (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:  Erin is going to the IRC because the competition looks so great.
WJD (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:  It was awesome.
Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Discussion:  Marilyn says she updated the membership numbers.  She is going to copy and paste the line from july to june which will fix the mixup of why there was a line for July.

Financial Report (Scott Krause):
Discussion:  Dennis is our new bookkeeper, and they are trying to get in touch with one another.  One thing that he doesn’t have on his report that he would like to address here: what is the procedure for bringing on a new treasurer.  Erin says that Martin probably knows.  Erin recommends the next chair put out a call for a new treasurer (perhaps via our 12,000 members on facebook).  Erin says that we have a bunch of payments soon, and we want to make sure we have the funds to cover all that-Scott says that it appears that we can.  Erin asks Mike and Scott if they bank account has been set up.  Mike is working on setting up the account with the check Scott gave him.  Scott will send Mike a paper that will help him set up the business account for the IJA.
AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)
Discussion: Mike is waiting for the check.


  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the 2016 Letter of Agreements with the Hotels in El Paso, Texas.
    Motion: Jared
    Second: Scott
    Discussion:  See letter of agreements above.
    Vote: Motion passes unanimously.7. Varia:
  3. Executive Director Memo Discussion – Lloyd  is working on the memo.  Erin mentions that we were tentatively planning to present this idea to the IJA membership at the festival.  Martin asks the ballpark of payment and hours.  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxd68x2rE4RsUEJvZDZxalM2aWZaS2VsNzhIVk1HRzZIRDZj/edit?usp=drive_web

Erin mentions the problem of having a changeover and a new board of directors trying to learn the ropes for six months.  Martin pointed out that $15,000 would be $15 per IJA member.

 

  1. Set July MeetingsIJA Festival Planning Meeting July 20th at 530 PST?
  2. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Scott

Discuss:

Voting: Motion passes unanimously