Board Meeting July 23, 2015

At the 2015 Festival

  1. Call to Order
    Meeting is called to order at: 1:25 EST.
  2. Roll
    Present: Nathan Wakefield, Warren Hammond, Noel Yee, Shivella Schwab
    Absent: Bob Nueman, Louie Saradek, Mavin Ong
  3. Approval of Agenda
    Motion: Warren
    Second by: Noel
    Discussion: Straightforward.
    Vote: Passes unanimously.
  4. Motions for Consideration
    A. Motion to approve a chairperson for the 2015-2016 term.
    Motion: Warren
    Second: Shivella
    Discussion: Explained who is eligible.
    Vote: Passes unanimously.

    B. Motion to nominate Nathan Wakefield to as Chair.

Motion: Warren

Second: Noel

Discussion: Nathan accepts to continue his role as IJA Chairman. Discussion about board terms and who would be interested and eligible for next year. Discussion about meeting for a meal to discuss the organization at the festival.

Vote: Passes unanimously.

C. Motion for a proterm extension on IJA Officer positions.
Motion: Noel
Second: Warren
Discussion: Nathan shows Shivella the current officers page and explains the set up.
Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

  1. Adjournment
    Motion: Noel
    Decision: Discussion about when the next meeting with be. Nathan will touch base with board members after the festival to set up the best time. Noel suggests not having it at a :30 time.

Vote: Unanimous.

Meeting is adjourned at:1:42pm.

Annual General Meeting July 22, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at   11:15 AM  EDT.

  1. Roll

Present Board Members: Nathan Wakefield, Noel Yee, Warren Hammond

Absent Board Members: Bob Neuman, Louie Skaradek, Jared Davis, Kyle Johnson

  1. Agenda Approval

Motion: Noel

Second: Warren

  1. 2015 Reports

2015 IJA Festival (Véronique Provencher)

Discussion:  Festival looks like it will be about break even. Awesome fund is being used for a box party, water balloon, juggling, piñata, and more. 35k grant for outdoor events.

 

IJA Programs:

  • IRCs (Erin Stephens)
  • Discussion: Erin Stephens was not present.
  • eJuggle (Nathan Wakefield)

Discussion: Content is regular.

  • Youth Juggling Academy (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: No longer offering certifying courses, but merit badges are successful. Working on a new website. Some concern about funding.

  • WJD (Erin Stephens)
  • Discussion: Erin Stephens was not present.

Membership (Nathan Wakefield)

Discussion:  Membership document did not print in time for meeting. However, reports indicate that overall membership is declining, though there was a small bump in membership for the Wes and Tony video.

AMS Report (Nathan Wakefield)

Discussion: Unna Med funded. Your Membership went into play 11/3/2014. Paid through 2017. Not fully migrated as of yet.

  1. Future Reports:

Future Board Members (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Erin Stephens was not present.

2016 IJA Festival (Nathan Wakefield)

Discussions: This will be in El Paso. Jim Maxwell is the Festival Director. Affordable hotel rooms, and everything is within a four block radius.

Future Festival (Mike Sullivan)

Discussions: 2017 will be in Cedar Rapids, IA, and 2018 will be in Springfield, MA. Moving away from college campuses due to changing dorm policies.

Executive Director (Lloyd Timberlake)

Discussions: Warren spoke about how this has been stalled due to lack of resources. Looking for someone to lead the search. Possibly fund a Gauntlet for next year.

  1. Open Discussion (15 Minutes Total)

Questions about eJuggling payments, and funding.

  1. Adjourn the Meeting

Motion: Noel

Meeting adjourned at: 12:20

Board Meeting July 18th, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 9:41 pm EDT

2. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Jared Davis, Louie Skaradek, Kyle Johnson, Warren Hammond, Noel Yee, Bob Neuman, Martin Frost
Absent:

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Kyle

Second by: Bob

Discussion: none

Vote: Passes unamimously

4. Motions for Consideration

 

  1. Motion to ban Steve Mills from attending the 2015 IJA Festival.

 

Motion: Noel

Second: Kyle

Discussion: This decision is based on his behavior from last year’s festival and his behavior leading up to this year’s festival.

Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Bob

Discuss:

Voting: Passes unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 10:00 pm ET.

Board Meeting June 23rd, 2015

Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: ___6:34_____ pm EDT

2. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Jared Davis, Louie Skaradek,Veronique Provencher, Afton Benson, Martin Frost, Kyle Johnson, Warren Hammond, Mike Sullivan, Bob Neuman
Absent: Afton, Noel, Warren

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Kyle

Second by: Jared

Discussion: None

Vote:  Unanimously approved

4. Approval of Minutes:

May 26th, 2015

Motion: Louie

Second:Jared

Discussion:None

Vote:Bob Abstains, Minutes approved

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion: Nathan has been made a signatory on the account

 

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:  update:

-received 24,000 from the city for outdoor shows!, show line up is finished, need someone to manage the bar,  mobile app for the festival is ready,  need to promote more to the north east juggling clubs of the USA

For this Festival we should make an acception for the rule of having a parliamentarian at this years festival?

We need to get presenter(s) for the special awards!

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:  None

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion: Last minute Festival promoting going on

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion:

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:None

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:None

 

World Juggling Day (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: Will hear about t-shirt sales soon.

  1. Motions for Consideration

 

  1. Motion to approve Duncan Pace as the 2014 Festival Video Editor with the terms outlined in the following agreement.
    2014 Video Editor Agreement

 

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion:

Vote: Unanimously passed

 

  1. Motion to approve Jim Maxwell as the 2016 IJA El Paso Festival Director with the terms outlined in the following agreement.

2016 IJA Festival Director Agreement

 

Motion: Jared

Second: Kyle

Discussion: Jim is great!

Vote: Unanimously passed

 

  1. Motion to approve the 2015 Awesomeness Fund’s selections.
    Motion:Louie
    Second: Bob
    Discussion:
    Vote: Unanimously passed

 

  1. Motion to amend the Bylaws as follows:

(A) In the Bylaws, change Article II, Section 10(b)(ii) by adding,
at the beginning of (ii):

“using a secure online voting mechanism made available by the

Corporation, or, if such mechanism is not made available,”

(B) Change the IJA Pre-Election and Election Regulations by adding

the following new paragraph at the end of Part I:

The IJA Board can choose to entirely replace the use of

mail-in ballots with the use of a secure, reliable online

voting mechanism.  In such case, the Chief Teller or

Communications Director shall cause information about use of

said online voting mechanism to be emailed to all IJA members

who are eligible to vote and who have registered a valid email

address with the IJA.

(C) Use the YourMembership secure survey mechanism instead of

mail-in ballots to allow IJA members to vote before the

festival.  No mail-in ballots will be accepted.  Members may

vote by using the secure survey mechanism or by filling out a

ballot during the voting period at the IJA festival, but not

both.

Motion:Bob
Second: Louie
Discussion:  worried about people voting only once, and keeping votes anonymous. The IJA website’s survey system comes with a slightly non-anonymous system…

Should we make a public note when promoting the new voting system that the future voting system is not completely anonymous?
Vote: Nathan abstains/ Motion passed

 

  1. Motion to extend the deadline for board candidacy statements for this year to June 27th.

Motion:Kyle
Second:Louie
Discussion:none
Vote: Unanimously passed

  1. Motion to approve up to $300 in funding for 2016 promotional materials to be created and distributed at this year’s festival.

Motion: Jared
Second: Louie
Discussion: get a headstart on next year
Vote:Unanimously passed

 

  1. Varia:

Nathan makes motion to not require a parliamentarian to be present at this years annual meeting

Seconded: Bob

Discussion: If passed and we find a parliamentarian would we still want them present?

Vote: Unanimously passed

 

  1. Festival prep
    Discussion: Special award presentation needs a little extra planning. When? Where?

 

  1. Set July Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – July 14 at _6:30__ ET.

Next Board Meeting –
TBD

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Kyle

Discuss:

Voting: Unanimously passed

Meeting adjourned at _8:24_____ pm ET.

Board Meeting – May 26th, 2015

 

Start the Recording

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 6:38 pm EDT

2. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Jared Davis, Louie Skaradek,Veronique Provencher
Absent: Noel Yee, Afton Benson, Martin Frost, Kyle Johnson, Warren Hammond, Mike Sullivan

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Jared

Second by: Louie

Discussion: None.

Vote:  Unanimous approval.

4. Approval of Minutes:

April 21, 2015

Motion: Jared

Second: Louie

Discussion: None.

Vote: Passes unanimously.

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion:

 

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion: Discussion about camping space. Vero has a back up if there is not enough space, but it should be covered. Concern about cost of flights and insurance, but Vero has space in her budget.

 

YJA Report and YJA Website Outline (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: Jared feels that YJA should have it’s own section on the website, not its own domain. Talk about how its own domain is important for branding. Discussion regarding training on the new website and how to proceed with that. Plan to send an email to the AMS team to get further progress.

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion:

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Good work!

 

World Juggling Day (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: We love the tshirt design. Planning on juggling on WJD!

  1. Motions for Consideration

 

  1. Motion to appoint Bob Neuman to the vacant Board position.

 

Motion: Jared

 

Second: Louie

 

Discussion: Bob is taking Lucho Fernandez’s position, who recently resigned.

 

Vote: Passes unanimously.

 

  1. Motion to change the Board nomination deadline and the candidacy statement submission deadline to June 19th for this year only.

 

Motion: Jared

 

Second: Louie

 

Discussion: Plan to reach out to a few people. Jared suggests seeking out people that attend the festival.

 

Vote: Passes unanimously.

 

  1. Motion to purchase a SSL certificate at a three year period cost of $750, $500, and $500, each year respectively for a three year period total of $1,750.

    Motion: Jared

    Second: Louie

Discussion: Discussion if it is worth the price and how it can pay for itself.

Vote: Passes unanimously.

 

  1. Varia:
  1. Attendance and business at the festival.
    Discussion: Coordinating board meeting for the festival.

 

  1. Set June Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – June 9th at 6:30 ET.

Next Board Meeting – June 23 at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Jared

Discuss:

Voting: Passes unamimously

Meeting adjourned at 7:41 pm ET.

Board Meeting – April 21st, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 6:35 pm EDT

  1. Roll

Nathan Wakefield, Noel Yee, Jared Davis, Louie Skaradek, Afton Benson, Martin Frost
Absent: Kyle Johnson, Lucho Fernandez, Warren Hammond, Veronique Provencher, Mike and Marilyn Sullivan

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Noel

Second by: Jared

Discussion: None

Vote: Approved Unanimously

  1. Approval of Minutes:

March 24th, 2015

Motion: Louie

Second: Jared

Discussion: None

Vote: Approved Unanimously

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion: Looks on board and awesome. Brought to attention – $1900 charge on card for hotel we are blocked in – no idea who has the credit card right now. Who charged this? Maybe Mike Sullivan? Doubtful. For a Hotel in Canada. Double check with Vero on this. Who has cards?

Contracts for Quebec? all but one venue is locked in. Firming it up soon.

 

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion: The Ecole de Cirque Quebec (The Circus School) contract has not been signed – waiting on a security matter to get that signed. Noel, Mike, Nathan and Veronique are working on getting that done. Minutes were taken for some offline meetings.

Officers are needed for the festival – Planting the Seed. – may not present this year because of finding a coordinator and venue issues. There is a possible workshop coordinator – Alex and ? – that is being worked on per email on the 20th.

Still need the Vendor Coordinator – highest priority at this point.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: No report. Need to get a domain name and some possible donor functions.

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion: No report. Where is the facebook push? We are mostly on target with our numbers of sign ups for the festival.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion: Scott is headed to EJC and using a stipend to get more articles and info going.

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:  Get to link from the drive page.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Erin and Thom Wahl are headed to IRCs

 

  1. Motions for Consideration

 

  1. Change the signatories on the IJA accounts held by the Bank of America from the signatories as of 4/1 to the following people: Nathan Wakefield, Board Chair; Afton Benson, Treasurer; Dennis Morrison, Bookkeeper.  Any other existing signatories on the specified accounts will be removed at the time the signature cards are returned to the Bank of America.

 

Motion: Jared

 

Second: Louie

 

Discussion: None

 

Vote:  Approved Unanimously

 

  1. Motion to confirm approval of Springfield, MA as the 2018 IJA Festival Site.

Facility Agreement

 

Motion: Jared

 

Second: Louie

 

Discussion: Vancouver for the future? Keep in contact with them.

Other – Possible future festivals proposed at the festival – so there can be feedback on them from members at the festival – have an open proposal period. Accept formal proposals at the festival. Have the director of the coming year be a “hype-man” for their coming festival at the current festival. Outreach for the coming years festival directors. Put out a call for proposals/directors at the same time. Juggling communities may want to bring the IJA to their town. The EJC does that now – IJA has done that in the past – but people are not volunteering to be the director. Reach out to Jim Maxwell for directing future festivals (2018?)

 

Vote: Approved Unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve the First Quarter 2015 P&L and Balance Sheet.
    P & L
    Balance Sheet

    Motion: Jared

    Second: Louie

Discussion: iiWii fund – 20 years after the donation it is available, 2010 was first year. Talk of possible investment of funds to use the earnings to fund future projects.

Vote: Approved Unanimously

 

  1. Varia:
  1. 2014 Festival DVD -current editor $2700, 2012 was $1000, $4K in the past, a little pricey. It is a substantial workload. Zan possible editor, Duncan too. Nathan to get ahold of Pablo – brief summary of time and footage. Start a dialog with editors. Establish a long term video editor relationship. Couple Month Time Frame for editing would be great.

 

  1. Set May Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – May 5th at 6:30 ET.

Next Board Meeting – May 26th at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Louie

Discuss: None

Voting:  Approved Unanimously

Meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm ET.

Board Meeting – March 24th, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 658 pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield,  Noel Yee,  Jared Davis, Martin Frost, Marilyn Sullivan

Absent: Louie Skaradek, Veronique Provencher, Afton Benson, Lucho Fernandez, Warren Hammond, Kyle Johnson

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Noel

Second by: Jared

Discussion: Moving to bottom of the agenda so that Martin can be in on the conversation before he has to leave.

Vote: Approved

  1. Approval of Minutes:

February 24rd, 2015

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion: None

Vote: passes

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

All contracts for Cedar Rapids 2017 are reviewed and ready to sign.

All contracts for Springfield 2018 are ready to sign except Mass Mutual Center, which we are hoping to have back before the end of the month.

Once Cedar Rapids and Springfield contracts are signed, Mike is going to take the rest of this year off of FFS work since we don’t need to start prospecting for 2019 until later this year.

Discussion:

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veroniqu e Provencer)

Discussion:  Room concerns, performers look awesome

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

See written report filed on Tuesday.

Discussion: Marilyn gave lots of great updates on the hard work that she and Mike have done on the website.

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: It looks like all is going well with YJA

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion: Afton was unable to attend today.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:  Membership numbers and logins will change with the new family membership changes that were approved during the meeting today.  We had a spike of 22 new members within one week of the devil stick IJA exclusive video.

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: None

  1. Motions for Consideration

    A. Motion to approve IJA Family Membership Proposal.

Proposal

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion: Martin clarified that this is in regards to family memberships.

Vote: motion passes unanimously

B. Motion to approve the IJA Festival Pre-Registration Proposal.

Proposal

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion:

Vote: motion passes unanimously

C. Motion to approve Veronique Provencher (Chair), Nathan Wakefield, Matthew Wise, Kyle Johnson, and Jean-Félix Bélanger as the 2015 Festival Awesomeness Fund Committee.

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion:

Vote: motion passes unanimously

D. Motion to approve the Award Committee’s selections for the 2015 IJA Honorary Awards.
2015 Selections from the Awards Committee

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion: Nathan will find out any existing protocol and contact the festival director and make sure this is done properly.

Vote:  Motion passes unanimously

E. Motion to approve Cedar Rapids, IA as the 2017 IJA Festival Site with the terms outlined in the following contracts.

(All contracts except for the joggling track rental at Coe College are in now in hand and ready to sign.)

Best Western Cooper’s Mill

Coe College Track Rental Agreement

PSAV Staging & AV Quote

DoubleTree Hotel

Paramount Theater

Motion: Noel

Second: Jared

Discussion:

Vote: Motion passes unanimously

F. Motion to approve Springfield, MA as the 2018 IJA Festival Site with the terms outlined in the following contracts.

(Mike expects to have favorable contracts from Mass Mutual Center and Sheraton Hotel in hand by the end of March, and so feels comfortable that IJA can sign these contracts before having final contracts for the gym space and theater.)
Marriott Hotel

Symphony Hall

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion: Noel is in support of postponing a vote on this.  Noel mentioned the possibility of having the IJA in Vancouver in 2018.

Vote: opposes Jared Davis and Noel Yee motion defeated

G: Motion to approve up to $80 to have master disks of the 2013 DVD corrected and re-shipped.

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion: Master disk needs misspelling and scenes corrected.

Vote: Motion passes unanimously

H: Motion to approve the 2015 IRC Mexico proposal from the Periplo International Circus Movement.

Proposal Document

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion: Looks great!

Vote: Motion passes unanimously

I: Motion to approve a $500 budget for the 2015 IRC Mexico. $300 will go towards prize money.  The remaining $200 will be used for medals, prizes, promotion, etc.

Motion: Jared

Second: Noel

Discussion: none

Vote: Motion passes unanimously

  1. Varia:

    A. Registration dates input

Discussion:  Nathan will send out an email about the registration ASAP.

  1. Set April Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – April  7th at 6:30 ET.

Next Board Meeting – April 21st at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Jared

Discuss: none

Voting: Motion passes unanimously

Meeting adjourned at 8:09 pm ET.

Board Meeting – February 24th, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: __6:32____ pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield,  Louie Skaradek, Noel Yee,  Jared Davis,, Kyle Johnson, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Martin Frost
Absent: Lucho Fernandez Warren Hammond

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion:Noel Yee

Second by:Kyle Johnson

Discussion: Noel wants to talk about the 2015 Festival

Vote:Passed Unanimous

  1. Approval of Minutes:

January 20th, 2015

Motion: Louie Skaradek

Second:Kyle Johnson

Discussion:No

Vote:Passed Unanimous

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion: Mike wants the board to select the two possible festival location choices for the 2017 festival for successive years 2017+2018

Between Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Springfield, MA

Past IJA festivals in this area have been larger than normal.

Noel talked about possible re-evaluation of festival criteria for future IJA Festivals

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

Mike says there are some problems with the vendor.

IJA 2015 fest website should be up and operational April 1st 2015

Veronique is waiting for the website to be finished so she can move forward with the 2015 Festival Registration and Promotion

Nathan is organizing a call to clear up festival/website information

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:

The performers are pretty expensive & There aren’t enough rooms at the moment

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

Great stuff

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gSYC–uIz0Q_MaB6CBW7BZZcysnVhUjB3a89Or3h968/

Discussion: Kyle has been working on festival promotion

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Final financial numbers for 2014 are in. $4,000 below expenses for last year.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:Everyone should watch the new Wes and Tony Video!

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

Spoke about if you need to be a member to attend the IJA festival.

Maybe we should include a membership in the IJA festival package?

Louis is going to make a post about it.

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to authorize Bookkeeper Dennis Morrison up to $250 to purchase Microsoft Office for his IJA computer.

Motion:Kyle

Second:Louis

Discussion: We may be able to get this program for free as a non profit!

http://www.microsoft.com/about/corporatecitizenship/en-us/office365-for-nonprofits/

Vote: Passes Unanimous

 

  1. Motion to rise the eJuggle budget from $500/month to $650/month with the rollover cap raised from $1,000 to $1,500.

eJuggle Budget Proposal

Motion: Kyle

Second:Louis

Discussion:

Jared and Kyle like this idea.

Vote: Passed Unanimously

 

  1.  Motion to give the eJuggle Editor a yearly $600 stipend earmarked to fund his/her travel to a major international juggling convention (IJA, BJC, EJC, etc.) with intent to promote the IJA and acquire content for eJuggle while there.

eJuggle Editor Stipend

Motion:Kyle

Second:Louis

Discussion: Kyle Praised Scott

Vote: Passed Unanimously

 

  1. Motion to rescind the 2015 music policy and revert back to the previous year’s policy.

    Motion: Louis

Second:Jared

Discussion: Well discussed already.

Vote: Nathan Abstains/ Jared,Kyle,Louis Vote to pass

Motion Passes

 

  1. Motion to approve restructuring the stage Championships prize payouts from 4-2-1 to 5-2-1 pending a prize money donation from Unna Med.

Prize Money Proposal

Motion: Kyle

Second:Louis

Discussion:

Vote: Passes Unanimously

 

  1. Motion to approve the 2014 3rd and 4th Qtr P&L Statements and Balance Sheets.
    2014 3rd and 4th Qtr P&L Balance Sheets

    Motion: Louis

Second:Kyle

Discussion:

Vote: Passes Unanimously

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Festival Registration/Promotion

Discussion: strongly discussed earlier

 

  1. Set March Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – March ___10th_______ at 6:30 ET  

Next Board Meeting – March __24th______ at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn:Kyle

Discuss:none!

Voting: All Passed – Moved to Adjourn.

Meeting adjourned at _8:07_______ pm ET.

Board Meeting – January 20th, 2015

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 6.39 pm EDT – Check

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield,  Louie Skaradek, Noel Yee,  Mike Sullivan

Just enough present for the Quorum ⅓ of those able to vote.

Kyle Johnson has joined as well. – Making it a DefiniteQuorum.

Martin Frost – present.

 

Absent: Jared Davis, Veronique Provencher, Afton Benson, Lucho Fernandez, Warren Hammond, Erin Stephens

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Louie

Second by: Noel

Discussion: None

Vote: None Oppose – Approved

  1. Approval of Minutes:

December 23rd, 2014

Motion: Noel

Second: Louie

Discussion:  None

Vote:  None Oppose – Approved

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

Discussion of comp values – 25 or 40 rooms booked we get comped nights. To be used for guests and teachers VIP etc.

 

The $99 night broken down is a great price in for a group of jugglers and even a single. The hotel price of $99 is a good price range for our clients and membership. Having had other festivals in the past being in the $114 range kept people away. The $99 is a good price.

 

Springfield is very eager to have our Festival in their town. They have a solid proposal and the best amongst the cities that are proposing to us.

 

Highly recommended to say yes to this from Mike who has a great perspective on the proposals and first hand knowledge.

 

Good that it gets the IJA back to the general ‘Quebec’ area.

 

Should maybe have the other board members discuss and overview before we make the ‘final yes’ Vote on Mike going forward with this now.

 

MIT and Pennsylvania are close to Springfield to pull them in. Good juggling groups to pull from .

 

End of Discussion… let’s do this North East Thang.

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

Sample data imports look good, membership types, administrative area and the first design review. Thursday get a last consultant talk before possibly going live. Flesh out and content pages. Trying to be moved over by April 1st for this. Can use it for membership and back end in the next few weeks. The pace is going along well – ramping up. Next month have something to look at and up and running.

Veronique needs a ‘clean design’ for the contract. A solid communication with her about what that is and how that looks – keep dialog open with her and the AMS people – keep reaching towards those goals.

Board should work with Vero on the total pricing and comps and memberships and the final prices for the whole event. Get all that done by February 21st it would be great to move that along.

We need to update that website.

Board needs to have answers on who has to be a member and who would not need to be a member for this festival.

 

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:

The IJA needs to start the ramp up for promoting the festival. Maybe Kyle get together with the Turbo 418 team to start the way to promote the festival. Check Vero’s plan some and see what she has going. Dove tail with that.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:

Things are moving along. Get the name changed up to the YJA.

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:
Soft push and focus on the promotion of the festival in Quebec City. Now is when we should start this ball rolling.

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion:

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:
Sitting well – right in the middle of numbers – about 150 pieces of content and 5-10 videos. Where can we get some worldy view content. The other side of the pond – European world – how can we get more content from them. A possible long term contact if not our current contact Ryan – where to next, if not him, maybe he knows someone else in his juggling circle.

Getting some great tricks of the month people to start to contribute. Yuki & Ken? in upper east… Journey Through Rhythm. Reach out for some videos from the community.

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:  none

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: none

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the 2015 IJA Operating Budget.

Motion: Kyle

Second: Noel

Discussion: The Budget was crossed over from 2014 and made it just fine.

Vote: None Oppose – Approved – Motion Passes

 

  1. Motion to approve the 2014 Festival Profit and Loss Statement.

Motion: Louie

Second: Noel

Discussion: Well done by Noel. And Nathan Agrees. Looks good the Festival covered itself well. It took al

Vote:  None Oppose – Approved – Motion Passes

 

  1.  Motion to authorize Mike Sullivan to move on making the contract negotiations for the Springfield Site for the 2017 Festival.

Motion: Nathan

Second: Noel

Discussion: Spoken about above under the ‘report’ section.

Springfield is very excited about it happening. The Mayor himself was excited to be bringing us in. 🙂

Vote:  None Oppose – Approved – Motion Passes

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Anonymous Donors

Discussion:
iiWii donation situation – money is going into an 1) Account, the 2) Festival (fun fund) and the 3) YJA. The fun fund was discontinued in after 2013. Now unaMed wants to bring back the fun fund, with a price matching system. Trying to avoid having a committee on that to keep it loose. But there is a feeling that a few long term people should be involved. Possible unaMed contribution for more prize money. First place is getting more and the ratios are different. iiWii recently wanted to possibly fund toward the festival again this year. Avoid a lump up of the Fun Funds – give 2 accounts to fund two different endeavors at the Festival this year. Try to satisfy the donors and give them what they want to make things happen – what is the ‘all win’ scenario? Patience and Pressure. Like a Reed in a Stream. Strong and Flexible.

 

  1. 2015 Marketing

Discussion:

Goals for 2015. 1) SOCIAL MEDIA MOVES: Facebook – we got some likes, what are the additional social media’s? Can reddit be used for the with our voice. Juggling Edge website with a forum. Small talk section. IJA news on the small talk section – how can we grow our ‘social media’ platforms. We do have an IJA reddit account, use it for our moves there.

Move some tricks of the month by us onto these media. Have a hunk of media we can promote. A captain and delegating it out to a few other people. ‘Drop Everything’ is something we can promote. Get some featured content up there on those social media outlet. Reach out to some people in our ranks about what social media they use and how to leverage their connections and skills to promote our material.

 

Sponsored posts on Facebook to expand the reach of the IJA. How do we reach new people? Where do we go to inform people about the IJA. Can we get set up a  quarterly allotment of $ to be used for paid advertising. Some promotions: The Festivals, eJuggle, Membership Drive. Late March / Early April another sponsored post.

 

2) Affiliates program re – invigorate – Jim Maxwell.

 

  1. Forms/Policy Implementation

Discussion:

Formal Forms? Can this be filled out and used to make it more pro and together and easier to use and keep track of and have check boxes. Instead of having email and stuff sent. Use a google docs for this situation. Pay for registration through the website, have to have a way to make that work with the google doc online form. Must keep in mind we need the ‘paid’ confirmation number to be entered into the form.

 

Music policy form kerfuffle – just a little negative feedback. A user very unhappy about the new music policy. Making a routine that was now unusable because of the new music policy. Did not mention the details, but the empathy and sympathy is there. Need someone to help in judging the forms and checking the data.  Do we delay the implementation for a year?

Is there a way to go back on it? Does the board want to change it? There are a couple / few people upset by the policy. Incubate and possible straw pole vote. To be thought about a little more – but needs to be done soon so it is in place for the 2015 festival. Need to get a little more feedback on this.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –  – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Discuss the levels of membership and registration levels in the next couple weeks to get that squared away.

 

  1. Set February Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – February 10th at 6:30 ET  

Next Board Meeting – February 24 at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Kyle

Discuss: None

Voting: All Passed – Moved to Adjourn.

Meeting adjourned at 8:04 pm ET.

Board Meeting – December 23rd, 2014

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 637 pm EDT

  1. Roll

Present: Nathan Wakefield,  Louie Skaradek, Jared Davis, Warren Hammond, Kyle Johnson, Afton Benson, Neilfred Picciotto, Martin Frost, Veronique Provencher, Viveca Gardiner

Absent: Mike Sullivan, Noel Yee, Lucho Fernandez

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Kyle Johnson

Second by: Louie

Discussion:

Vote:  Approved Unanimously

  1. Approval of Minutes:

November 18th, 2014

Motion: Louie

Second: Warren

Discussion:

Vote: Minutes approved

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

2015 IJA Festival Report (Veronique Provencer)

Discussion:  Nathan went over the report for everyone.  Nathan and others are planning on putting together a video for TurboFest to use to promote at their info session regarding the IJA Festival.  There are concerns about omitting the Butterfly Man’s name from the busker competition.  Veronique was late to the meeting.  She discussed her report.  We also discussed the name of the competition with her.  Veronique is completing another grant request.  She finished a sponsor request of $10,000 from the local bank for the outdoor activities.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:  The report is 65 pages long.  Board members liked the proposals from Springfield MA and Salt Lake City.  Cedar Rapids was another option.  So, we have many options for 2017 and beyond.  Martin says we haven’t been to the East coast in a long time and we have many members there.

 

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:  The YJA has a lot going on.  Kyle mentioned he sat in on a YJA class in Burlingame, CA.  Bekah Hammond really enjoyed her experience teaching representing the YJA in India.

 

Marketing (Kyle Johnson)

Discussion:  Louie did some really cool stuff with a postcard and ad for Circus Harmony.  Kyle sent some postcards to Master Ong’s prop shop and they placed them in their orders.  He said that they actually contacted Kyle and asked for more of them.  18,260 likes on facebook.  Woo!

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion: She contacted someone about a week ago and she hasn’t heard back from him yet.  She needs to know what she needs to report.  Warren expressed interest in seeing how much money we have to pay an executive director.  Scott set up our Amazon smile program.  We discussed the need for a calendar.  Louie expressed that he would like to have a monthly update of money in and out as well as money in and out for the festival, etc.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion:

Video Tutorial Contest Report (Thom Wall)
Discussion: There was a low turnout this year.  Nathan suggests that in future years we have the prizes in hand before promoting the prizes and video tutorial competition.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:  Nathan went over the report with everyone during the meeting.

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

AMS Report (Mike Sullivan)

Discussion:

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the new proposed IJA Stage Championships Timing system, effective beginning in 2015.

Motion: Kyle

Second: Warren

Discussion: Viveca clarified why they wanted to make this change.  Kyle asked if it was the same in the past for competitors to be disqualified for going a minute over time.

Vote: Jared opposes the motion.  Motion passes.

 

B.Motion to approve new purposed IJA Stage Championship Rules, effective beginning in 2015.

Motion: Kyle

Second:Warren

Discussion: Neilfred said that the goal is to specify what the competition is for.  Viveca said that they want it to be about what they are doing.

Vote: Kyle abstained.  Motion passes.

 

  1. Motion to discuss proposed IJA Stage Scoring System changes with intent to vote for one of them.
    Option 1.
    Option 2.

Motion: Kyle

Second: Louie

Discussion:  Viveca explained why they want these changes.  There was lots of discussion regarding options 1 and 2.

Vote:  Nathan abstains.  Motion passes.

Motion: Warren made a motion to vote on option number one as the new scoring system for the stage system.

Second: Jared

Discussion: None

Vote: Louie opposed.  Nathan abstains.  Motion passes.

 

  1. Motion to approve a $75 half page print ad to be placed in the Circus Harmony: Guibilante program book.

Motion: Warren

Second: Kyle

Discussion:  Afton talked about circus harmony and how they raise money for their organization.  Motion was amended to be for a ½ page and $75 rather than a ¼ page and $50.

Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

 

  1. Motion to Approve an Executive Director Search Committee consisting of: Lloyd Timberlake, Jim Maxwell, Nathan Wakefield, Nathan Peterson, Thom Wall, Noel Yee, and Warren Hammond (Committee Chair).

    Motion: Kyle

    Second: Louie

    Discussion: Warren said that these are people he knows and thinks would be great assets to choosing an executive director.

 

Vote:  Motion passes unanimously.

F.  Motion to approve the IRC South America proposal and a maximum budget of $500 towards the event – with the stipulation that a venue must be secured no less than 3 months in advance. Proposal Link

Motion: Kyle

Second: Louie

Discussion: Nathan expressed concern that last year the IJA only allotted $500 for the IRCs and this is tripling that amount without factoring in other possible IRCs later in 2015.  (Erin called in and joined the call while we were discussing this.)  There was ample discussion about how much to spend.  Kyle made a motion to amend the amount to $500 from $750 and Louie seconded it as well.

Vote:  Motion passes unanimously.

G. Motion to approve the IRC Central America proposal and a maximum budget of $500 towards the event.  Proposal Link

Motion: Kyle

Second: Warren

Discussion: None

 

Vote: Motion passes unanimously.

 

  1. Varia:
  2. Ideas to make membership more appealing.

Discussion:  Something to keep in mind.

 

  1. Set January Meeting

Next Vision Planning Meeting – January 6th  6:30 ET  

Next Board Meeting – January 20th at 6:30pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Warren

Discuss: None

Voting: None

Meeting adjourned at 9:08  pm ET.